Prayers for a friend..

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3
Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 10:53pm PST 
One of my best friend's dog has to be rushed in to the emergency vet. Her dog had diarrhea all day, and thinking it was just a stomach upset, she didn't really think anything of it.. Until she noticed blood starting to show up, and her dog beginning to get lethargic and refusing to eat or drink. She has gotten to the point where she is shivering, laying in her dog bed, refusing to get up and basically just leaking diarrhea onto her dog bed..

Her dog is a female Shepherd/Collie cross, three years old, and they live on a farm with the dogs having free roam outside with the other dogs.

There's so many things it could be.

Her fiance is refusing to pay for surgery saying "if it requires surgery, we're putting her down - vets just try to get money out of you and half the time the dog dies a month later." UH, NO JERKFACE. She's incredibly upset, obviously, has the opposite mindset of this and would do anything to save her dog.

Unfortunately, their two little boys have disabilities and if this goes $1000 , unless there are payment plans, they can't afford surgery to help the dog..

My friend is devastated.

When she tried to call ahead and take her dog into the only emergency Vet in town, she was told that the Vet was gone until morning! and that nothing could be done for her dog until morning and there are no others nearby. Her fiance is out of town for work, so she's relying on family for a ride in the morning.

Let's pray that Sierra lasts long enough, that it's not incredibly serious, that it's not surgical, and that she doesn't suffer in that time.. frown

Edited by author Thu Jan 17, '13 10:56pm PST


Tuff Enuff!
Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 11:24pm PST 
So sorry you're friend is having to go through this and deal with her fiance's attitude towards it. Please talk to your friend about Care Credit. I was able to use this when Jack was in the hospital and they covered the $5k vet bill. I still pay them back monthly but it helps in a pinch. Praying for your friend's dog!

i wiggle my- entire body
Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 11:54pm PST 
what a scary situation. thoughts and parayers for your friendhughughug

Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it
Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 4:03am PST 
Oh Charlie frown What a sad situation for this dog. Unfortunately, it's sometimes the mind set of some people. That kills me.

Please let us know how the dog is doing. I'll be praying for him hug
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.
Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 4:13am PST 
Hopes and prayers that her dog gets well. It sounds like she needs a new fiance. confused My husband can be a selfish jerk, but he would never give up on our dogs, like that. The decision to have her put down should be a mutual decision. I feel for her. Send good luck wishes to her for us. Please keep us posted. hughughug
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3
Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 10:26pm PST 
Well.. I'm incredibly unimpressed and incredibly disappointed in my friend.

Sierra is up, walking around, drinking water and cleaning herself. Other than a still tense stomach and not eating, she's almost back to normal.

I told my friend she should STILL get her in for a check up, because even if it's just a tummy upset, at least it rules out anything SERIOUS. Which she could still have! She doesn't want to lose her dog...but..

Well, apparently, she got in a friend of a friend who is a Vet student in her last year, who said Sierra has feces caught in her rear end... Uhm.. what? How does that explain lethargy? I mean, bleeding, diarrhea, lethargy, lack of appetite, refusal to drink and a tense stomach... That would all lead me to believe something more serious. I pointed out that sure, she can LOOK at her and say "this is what it probably is." but no Vet can be 100% sure unless they ran some tests.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I'd want to get tests ran for the PEACE OF MIND to know I wasn't going to lose my dog or that it wasn't CAUSED by something more serious, or that there wasn't something serious underlying that. Just my two cents.