GO!

I almost lost my Bam Bam

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 4:37pm PST 
Yesterday was a tiring day at work and I decided to skip the gym and go home. My first sign that something was wrong was that Reyna was on the toddler bed by my front window rather than the new bed she's spent two weeks on. She began pounding on the window w her paw when I pulled in the driveway. I opened the door to a god-awful stench. The entire contents of Bam-Bam's bowel were everywhere. His tummy was "funny looking" he was arching his back, retching. I immediately knew it was critical I get him to the vet ASAP.
At the vet his heart rate was 120 when it should've been 40+/- a bit. He was shocky. He was immediately cath'd and started on Iv fluids and taken for x-rays. Blood was also drawn, temp was taken.
Diagnosis: partial bloat. Basically he either started to and stopped but was still going into shock, or I caught it early enough. He had not twisted and we could see the air was moving into his otherwise empty bowels.
Ultimately, after we got him stable, my vet and I agreed that there was nothing they'd do there that I couldn't do at home. So Bam was sent home on Iv fluids, and I had to check his vitals every hour. I was sent home with 4 Iv bags to use through the night and a borrowed stethoscope, as well as a sheet to record his vitals and his gum status on.
Although we are all exhausted (Reyna was mommys helper and up w me all night), I'm glad to say that his check up this morning was good, and I removed his cath at 3 this afternoon after he kept several small bland meals down. He's on something to coat his tummy and Pepcid.
I'm just so glad I skipped the gym. My boyfriend had been home around 2 and the dogs were fine. I got home at 4, so this happened very quickly. And, bless his heart, my bf also cleaned up the entire mess Bam had made. That's a big deal w his sensitive gag reflex.
You just never know with this stuff, how quickly it can set in. I could've lost my boy yesterday... That's terrifying.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 4:47pm PST 
Wow, that's horrible, poor Bam Bam. I am so glad you didn't lose him. It's really neat that Reyna knew something was wrong and was trying to get your attention though.
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 4:48pm PST 
What a scary situation! Wishing you a speedy recovery. hughug
[notify]

Lexi

i wiggle my- entire body

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 5:03pm PST 
wow what a scary situation Bam Bamhughug i'm glad you caught it in time. I hope your doing better now hug
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 7:19pm PST 
hughughug I'm so glad you caught the problem and he is getting better. Do you have any idea what might have caused the partial bloat? Very scaryhug

dog walk
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 7:35pm PST 
That's super scary! Onyx bloating when I'm not home is one of my worst nightmares. So glad Bam-Bam is okay!
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 7:35pm PST 
hughughug i am so glad he is doing better now. That sounds so scary to come home to. You are a good mom and person for getting it taken care of like you did, wishing you a speedy recovery flowers
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 8:10pm PST 
So glad that everything turned out alright.hughughug
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 8:39pm PST 
Oh my gosh, how terrifying.... So glad he's ok and feeling better hug
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 8:47pm PST 
Oh no. How scary. I'm so glad to hear that he's going to be ok. Sounds like Reyna was a great little sister.
Thank goodness you came home when you did.

Hope he's feeling better soon.hughug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4