GO!

I need some help!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

♥ Mya- ♥

Born to Retrieve

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 6:27pm PST 
So Mya is a tad bit overweight, she is a 102 lb labrador, she is large for her gender though, not just fat, she is definitely a big dog. She tore her left ACL in 2009 and it has since healed, but she tore her right ACL last month. Now I took her to the vet and got her some pain medicine and am trying my darndest to make sure she doesnt walk to much or go on any stairs ever. Now she lost 6 lbs, she used to weigh 108 so I am glad for that, she is a huge counter surfer though which I think is the main contribution to her extra weight. Her leg is doing better now but I am still trying to keep her off of her feet. Is there any kind of vegetable or something that I could feed her and maybe she could lose some weight? She definitely doesn't counter surf now that she is hurt, but I want to do more, I want to make it easier for her to get around when she is better. So since I can't really exercise her I was wondering if there is something I could do to her diet while she is on bed rest?
[notify]
Precious- Pearl

PROUD TO BE- PRETTY

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 6:35pm PST 
you could replace some of her food with greenbeans well cooked and mashed to help lose some weigh
[notify]
♥ Mya- ♥

Born to Retrieve

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 6:43pm PST 
Thank you! I will try that!
[notify]

Tyson

Where's the- ball!?

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 7:30pm PST 
I'm not sure where you're located but we have two specialty animal stores here. They are highly skilled in not so common animal tricks. Tyson has food allergies and so we buy our food at the local Dog Daze. I know there is a raw company you can order from online as well as several brands of weight management food. Perhaps something like that is worth looking into. Also I would suggest that when she is again in good health and able to counter surf, a cone may be necessary while she is unsupervised so that she isn't able to get at what's on the counter. Best wishes!

Edited by author Fri Jan 11, '13 7:32pm PST

[notify]
Tipper

The puppy on the- Stairs.

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 8:26pm PST 
Tipper likes carrots. Also some dogs do a lot better on a grain free or at least corn free dog food.
[notify]
♥ Mya- ♥

Born to Retrieve

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 6:55am PST 
Thank you! Also, I feed my dogs Taste of The Wild which is grain free. That is a very good idea about the dog cone, I don't have any animal specialty stores locally, I mean I have a pet store, but Im sure I could find an animal specialty store in the neighboring cities. Thanks again everyone for your help!
[notify]
Jobi

Clown Dog

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 7:05am PST 
my frind has a lab that was a bit over weight, they put her on a raw diet and she lost al her weight, beautiful form and allergies clearing up, walks alot better.. but still counter surfs alot better lol
[notify]