GO!

Fritz has been hurt :-(

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 8:14pm PST 
frown Fritz was missing when I got home from work Thursday. I thought he was missing; he was hiding and come out when he saw me looking around the yard for him.

He was covered with sand and water, smelled bad, and had a huge gash in his left front leg. There was a broken riser/faucet near the fence and the pipe was broken in the ground.

Our vet gave him a pain shot and cleaned him up as much as possible. He used a general anesthetic to work on his leg. Fritz had cut a blood vessel, a small one, and partially cut a tendon. He was on IV for most of the day and had a shot of morphine.

Our vet said he will get better eventually, but it is going to be hard to get his leg healed because of the lack of loose skin on the leg, his gash may open up and have to be treated as an open wound.
It is also very painful. He is taking rimidol and tramadol.

My best guess about how he got hurt would be that he was playing and got his leg through the fence, struggled, broke the faucet and the water pipe, and then panicked when he found himself caught in the fence in the middle of a water spout from the broken pipe. I guess he tore his leg up getting it out of the fence in a panic.shrug
I am looking into replacing our fencing with welded wire and hoping that Fritz will feel better soon.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 8:37pm PST 
I'm sorry frown

FWIW, treating open leg wounds isn't that bad. I wouldn't worry about it much. I've done it personally for two dogs and seen others go through it. The first was a friend's dog who had a large portion of muscle removed from his leg to get good margins on a malignant mass. There was not enough skin left for stitches. I used to change his bandages sometimes when her schedule didn't allow the time.

Which turned out to be good practice for when Vance got a surgery site on his leg infected. The skin was too healed to re-staple, too damaged to do nothing. The vet actually wanted to go back to surgery, but I refused unless we eliminated less invasive options first. It left him with a scar, where surgery would not have, but... Whatever. It's not a complicated process, it's just time consuming to clean and re-bandage a leg twice a day.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 8:44pm PST 
Poor buddy... hope he feels better soon frown
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 10:17pm PST 
Get well soon Fritz.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 3:36am PST 
Thanks Vance,
I have to take him back to the vet this afternoon. I guess we will find out then if we have to go the open wound route. Bandage changes twice a day don't sound too bad. I am looking forward to him getting well enough to have a bath, he still smells bad and cries when I try to comb him. Of course he hates being groomed so I don't know if he really is sore or if he is just doing his normal protest.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 3:41am PST 
hughug
Feel better soon Fritz!
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 3:45am PST 
frown poor Fritzhug Get well soonflowershughughug
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 6:34am PST 
Awwww Fritz...I'm sorry that happened to you. It sounds kind of like a freak accident too. I hope you feel better soon and you are as good as new before you know it! big grinhug
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 8:21am PST 
Get well soon!! hug
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 8:25am PST 
Oh Fritz I am so sorry to hear that frown Hope your leg gets better soon.
Thinking of you today hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6