GO!

Female Dog in Heat

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Ty

Crunchy

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 11:04pm PST 
I just got a new dog. She's around 7 months old I think & I was told she is in heat. I really know nothing about what to expect with a female dog in heat. She just peed on puppy pad though and i know this is gross but it stunk up the whole room! Could it be because she is in heat?? Any info about dogs in heat is greatly welcomed! Thanks!!!
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 8:18am PST 
Nothing to do but wait it out right now. After she has finished her cycle, take her to the vet to get neutered so it doesn't happen again. Even more important, so you don't add to the pet overpopulation with another pregnant dog.
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 8:27am PST 
You will need to watch her closely, her smell will attract male dogs, even big dogs. Some more experienced people should be by soon to help, I do agree that once she is out of heat, spaying would be a good idea but be careful to have a vet familiar with very small dogs do the surgery.
[notify]

Ty

Crunchy

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 7:52pm PST 
Yes I found that out real quick! As soon as I took her outside on leash all neighborhood dogs started barking and came in my yard...def have to keep her inside with me & not let her out often! And I will be getting her spade ASAP!! Thanks for responding smile
[notify]
Ty

Crunchy

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 7:52pm PST 
Yes I found that out real quick! As soon as I took her outside on leash all neighborhood dogs started barking and came in my yard...def have to keep her inside with me & not let her out often! And I will be getting her spade ASAP!! Thanks for responding smile
[notify]