GO!

More Itchiness.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Fancy

Zzzz

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 1:58pm PST 
So, if you look at my past post, I have one about itchiness.
I think there may have been fleas affecting that.

But now, after a decent amount of time where Fancy wasn't itchy, long enough for her to heal and let us go get her nicely groomed. The itchiness is back.

It's different now though, she doesn't have fleas. I know for a fact. There's no flea dirt, and I haven't seen a single flea on her in months. She is pretty much eating her-self alive it seems. She turns around and bites just above her tail, all the way up to mid back. There are scabs, and blood on her all the time, and she seems very...Spastic. That's the best way I can describe it.

She'll only sit in one place for a matter of seconds then jump up run around and hide back under the table. The only time she holds still is a bit after 10. She starts "nagging" me to go to bed { She sleeps with me } and then finally, as we're in bed she will hold nicely still all night.

This has been going on for a while now, and it makes me quite sad to see her in so much distress..
Please help ASAP.

~Tori & Fancy
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 6:42pm PST 
You said this started after being groomed? Do you think it's an allergy to the grooming products? Or maybe all of the shampoo didn't get rinsed out? Have you tried rinsing off your pup?
[notify]
Fancy

Zzzz

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 7:38pm PST 
We've bathed her maybe once after it. We always have her groomed there, so I sort of ruled that out.
This time I didn't bathe her with any sort of shampoo just water. I wasn't sure if it was an allergic reaction to the soap or something.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 9:27pm PST 
That sounds horrible. Why would she stop chewing in bed though? What could be different? What about wrapping her in a tight sweater or T shirt. That did help keep Sassy comfortable sometimes but doesn't work if the itchy place is on the rump!

Sassy managed fine with flea drops until she was a senior dog then she started licking and biting hot spots into her rear end. She was ill, suffering from kidney disease. I suspect she was uncomfortable from her illness so the bit of itchiness put her over the top. In her whole life I maybe saw a couple dozen fleas on her and I didn't even see flea dirt when she was a senior dog. A bite can torture an allergic dog for weeks.

And Max never itches and didn't get fleas and got fewer ticks than Sassy. When he had horrible ear troubles in 2011 he did get fleas and even licked his forelegs until he got a little knot on his skin on each leg. Once the ear thing was resolved [reaction to sardines] the licking stopped and the knots vanished. I never thought dogs in less than perfect health got fleas more than healthy dogs but now I wonder.

You might get her a check up.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 9:55pm PST 
I agree with Max. I had a Frenchie who was severely allergic to fleas. One bite and she would tear her rear end to a bloody mess. We rarely found a flea on her but since it only took one bite that wasn't surprising. In her case I used flea protection all year but during flea season she would still get an occasional bite. This was
before the monthly preventatives were available. Once they were available, with their constant use we were able to break the flea cycle in the house and that helped tremendously. Interestingly enough, she had chronic other health issues.
[notify]
Charlie- Brown Cocoa- Puffs

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 10:41pm PST 
ur dog is definately havng some kinda allergic reaction. wich could be alot of things. dogs can even be allergic to their owners. best thing to do is take him to the vet
[notify]
Zane

Slobber that- only a mother- can love!!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 10:24am PST 
My 3 year old Saint is the same way. It doesn't seem to matter what we feed him, bathe him in or anything...he constantly itches to the point where he has scabs and small sores. We have discovered during an elimination diet while feeding raw, that chicken and pretty much any poultry makes it ten times worse. We have ultimately stopped feeding raw and have switched him to TOTW Sierra Mountain Canine which happens to be the only one without ANY poultry/egg product in it, and the itching has subsided only a little bit.

Our next task will be a skin scrape and allergy testing at the vet's office. Have you considered doing that yet? Our itchy problem really didn't begin until a year and a half ago, so it isn't anything that he has had since he was brought home.

If you happen to find a result/treatment/prognosis please keep us updated. I will post my updates as well. Zane has his vet appointment the end of Jan for his skin exams.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 9:59pm PST 
"ur dog is definately havng some kinda allergic reaction. wich could be alot of things. dogs can even be allergic to their owners. best thing to do is take him to the vet"

He's probably not allergic to his owner as he stops giving a fuss when they are sleeping on the bed, and they sleep together, so I guess that should be ruled out, right?
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 7:32pm PST 
I think some dogs are having problems now in some parts of the country because heat has been turned on, and their skin is drier than usual.

Low thyroid can cause itchiness, too.
[notify]
Fancy

Zzzz

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 2:58pm PST 
Agh, there are so many choices I don't even know where to begin.
My family is very tight in the wallet at the moment and can't afford to take Fancy to the vet. I feel horrid about that frown

I have no idea why she stops itching in bed, except that she is probably worn out, as she's usually making little barking noises in her dream after only a few minutes.

I don't think the heat would be a big problem, we live in Florida, we're use to it.
I'll try out a few more things ya'll suggested
[notify]