GO!

Friend's Dog is in Trouble...please advise!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 10:01pm PST 
My friend is going through a really tough breakup. She has two autistic sons and also a 3 year old pitbull. Her pittie seems to be taking this very hard, as the ex-bf moved out and took his dog (a 5 year old male pit) with him. Those dogs have been together since Korah (my friend's pit) was a couple months old. Since the break up, she has been getting worse...she now sleeps most of the day and when she's not sleeping she's crying, looks at the door any time there's a sound, and has now started puking up her food. I know that animals get depressed just as we do. It's a tough situation because my friend is really upset about the break up, and knowing it's caused her dog to do this makes it even harder to deal with. What can we do to make sure Korah stays healthy through this?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 11:15pm PST 
Max went through that when Artie went home after Sassy died. He met a dog and played on leash and when we were home he just collapsed. Apparently he hadn't realized that the other dogs were gone until then. He was just going outside and eating when food put down, never told us what he wanted. Horrible. I took him to his agility class expecting that the lovies would cheer him up but it turned out he wanted to play agility with me too. So possibly more interaction with him would help. Training, doing his tricks, taking for walks, that sort of thing. I also took him to the dog park to sniff around and meet other dogs. That really cheered him up.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 11:39pm PST 
Charlie went through a depression after Maya was PTS and she didn't come home. He would search for her, be on high alert expecting her to show up, kept checking her kennel and sniffing her stuff, and was overall mopey and just didn't want to do anything and would even go sleep in her kennel.

I kept his regular routine. Walks each day, same play times, same attention, if not a little bit more to try to pull him out of that stage, and I'll be honest, I even spoiled him a little during that point.

It took him as long as a few weeks, but he eventually realized she wasn't coming home and moved on. It's sad to see them that way, but there should be a point in time, could be days or weeks, when Korah lets go and is okay again.

Hugs to your friend and her family.hug
[notify]

Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 6:08am PST 
Kali was depressed for months after Jax passed. I gave her extra attention and extra walks and play time. It helped a lot having Koby. He was a very good distraction for her. Maybe your friend can find her dog a play-mate and have regular play dates.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 3:09pm PST 
I am going to be helping out with her kids during the week, and told her I would be more than happy to get there a little early and walk Korah since my friend's ex would do that almost daily. I also plan on giving her lots of love and treats if need be. We have also talked about setting up a time for her and Angel to meet so maybe I'd be able to bring Angel with me every day to her house.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 4:20am PST 
Keep us posted on how it woks out. You very kind to help out. smile
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 10:10pm PST 
You're such a darling to offer a helping hand to your friend. Do spend time with the dog as one of the posters earlier said and maybe Korah will learn to get on with his life.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 8:20pm PST 
I'm happy to report that Korah is getting better. I was over there the other night and she actually started eating. My friend was so excited she nearly screamed in happiness. She also started giving Korah treats, and started actually going outside when the dog has to potty vs opening the door. Now Korah is becoming clingy...I just reassured my friend that it's part of the process.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 11:45pm PST 
Well I'm happy to hear that Korah is actually doing well. Yes, his being clingy is just a part of the process. But you wouldn't want him to get too clingy so your friend should at least try to work through that little by little. happy dance
[notify]
Ty

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 7:31am PST 
I had one boy thst was very close to his father. After the dad passed. The son was depressed and would wonder the yard looking for him. I just gave him extra attention and would talk to him and brush his ears. This was something he loved. In time he did get better, I know he still missed his dad but he got back to being more of himself
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2