GO!

Advise needed on front dew claws

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 1:11am PST 
Hi,

My 1 year old frenchie has continous pain with his front dew claws always catching them, they are both quite flobby, for the last 3 months that we have had him he has been to the vets regarding his dew claws 3 times and has needed antibiotics and painkillers, one is at the moment swollen and the other now has a bent claw and he doesnt stop licking them

We went to the vet yesterday as I dont want it getting worse and the vet has recommended removing them, im so scared though as the pain I have heard is awful and I panic that him being put to sleep for it could kill him

I dont know what to do for the best honestly but I know going to the vets once a month is no way to live, has anyone had experience with front dew claw removal with a dog? I wish his breeder removed them as a puppy!!

I have him provisionally booked in for this procedure tomorrow but so scared dont know what to do

Thanks
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 3:49am PST 
Sorry your going through this. I don't have any advice, but good luck with the procedure on your pup. hug
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 3:58am PST 
Thank you thats kind
[notify]

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 8:09am PST 
While I do not agree with dew claw removal in general, you need to look at individual dogs. My dogs use theirs daily, but they are quite active. Your Frenchie may not need them & they are obviously an issue for him. In your case, I would remove them. Your vet can send you home with painkillers & post-op instructions to help speed healing & prevent infection.
Good luck & let us know how he's doing.hug
[notify]
Tipper

The puppy on the- Stairs.

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 3:25pm PST 
a floppy dew claw isn't the same as removing a solid one. I had a floppy dew claw on one of my front legs. It was removed when I was spayed. I had a couple of stitches and a bandage, but never took a lame step and didn't seem to be in any pain.

As long as your vet is experienced with putting your breed under anesthesia, it should be fine. If you are planning to be neutered the procedures could be done together.

I would think having them removed would be a lot less painful then a sore infected dew claw.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 5:50pm PST 
How did your pup make out? Hope all is well. hug
[notify]
Pookie

plush destroyer

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 6:58pm PST 
It doesn't sound like the dewclaws are attached. I would get them removed, especially since it's causing issues. Dewclaws that are not attached are fairly simple to remove and recovery will be quick.
[notify]
Ty

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 8:35am PST 
I had a dog that had to have his front dew claws removed and he was fine in no time. But I know it can be very painful for them also and some may take days to get better. But if it gets caught and ripped off. I have seen dogs that have trouble the rest of their lifes from the accident
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 8:10pm PST 
For me we have never had a dog that had dew claws. Both girls came from breeders that had them removed. I hope your pup has a fast recovery and no more pain. I am glad our dogs dont have them because you hear the stories of them being caught on things and ripped off. But then alot of dogs have them and are not bothered by them.
[notify]