GO!

Twist is at the vets

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 7:59am PST 
Yesterday my sister and BIL were dog-sitting Twister at their place in the country, and they let him out to potty and run around. I wasn't there to see what happened, but apparently our neighbor's dog attacked him (not sure which one/s, but have an idea...they have been coming onto the property and have killed their rabbits recently). My sister was still inside when I got back and had never even realized what had happened (they hadn't let him out that long ago). It looks like he was grabbed from behind. His back left leg has bite marks on top, and on the inside he has an open wound.frown I took him back home and washed his leg and put peroxide on it (he took it like a man too, was worried that he might try to bite, but he never did, just rested his head on my arm), but I wasn't able to get him to a vet until this morning. He is now at his regular vet, and they are going to have to anesthetize him to get him fixed up, but he should be able to be picked up at 3 today. Hopefully it will all go well and it will heal quickly.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 8:04am PST 
Hoping he has a fast recovery hughug
[notify]
Jim

Throw the Dang- Ball!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 12:53pm PST 
I am so sorry to hear this! Did they let him out in an unfenced area? I think your sister needs to file a complaint about these neighbor dogs. I’m also wondering if maybe your sister isn’t the best person to be dog sitting for you. This is absolutely horrible! Is your sister’s property at all fenced? If not, suggest that she take Twister out on a leash when she lets him out to use the bathroom. A report also needs to be made on these aggressive dogs. I hope Twister feels better soon!

Edited by author Tue Dec 18, '12 10:06am PST

[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 12:58pm PST 
Poor Twister! That's awful. frown I hope he feels better soon.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 1:00pm PST 
hughughughughughug
[notify]
Jim

Throw the Dang- Ball!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 1:03pm PST 
I really encourage you to report this attack to the police, if you know who owned the dog. This aggressive dog could easily attack or kill another dog or human. Get better soon, Twister!
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 4:10pm PST 
hug for Twisterhug Feel better soon, buddy! big hug

Jim- She has an "idea" as to which dog it was, but since nobody saw what happened, it would be impossible to prove. About a year or so ago somebody put something blue(I think it was a gardening poison)in my outdoor rabbits water bowl. I found it before any damage could be done. I went to the police to file a report but they said unless I know 100% who did it(I had an inkling who it was), there was nothing they could do about it and filing a report would be useless.

There is a fence around the property, but in some places it's just barbed wire and in others there are holes made by wildlife and dogs. It would be financially impossible for them to properly fence in the entire property(16 acres), and the way the land is, it would also be difficult and expensive to put up a sturdy fence around the house.

I agree that it's not an ideal situation for Twister to be in, but such is life. Hopefully everyone will step up and pay more attention to their surroundings when Twister is out... hug

Edited by author Mon Dec 17, '12 4:15pm PST

[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 4:34pm PST 
I hope twister is better soon. For not a lot of money you could fence a yard sized area using field fence, T posts and electric wire to discourage the bad dogs from trying to get through the fence.
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 4:34pm PST 
Please refrain from making any assumptions about my sister. The property is entirely fenced in, but sections of it are from the previous owner and is barbed wire, my sister and BIL are working hard to get it replaced...even though that is a lot of acreage to completely fence in (Tasha: They have redone the entire front entrance/gate, and are working on replacing the entire front section of fencing-a temp fix right now, Myron has plans on moving it back past the row of trees-, the other major part is the other side in the woods facing the property the dogs are coming from...that I don't know when they will be able to get to) . We did talk about what to do, and I agree I do not want him running around outside without supervision (even though that is the best part about living in the country, he loves it out there, esp since he can go swimming in the pond, he is *usually* -won't say never-really good at staying on their property). However, I have the next two weeks off, so he is staying with me in town so that he can heal. I agree something needs to be done with the neighbor's dog(s), but like Tasha said, there is not much I can do, because I can not prove which one(s) did it.

On a happier note, Twister is back and doing good. The vet tech said he did well and sent home some meds for him. He has stitches on the inside of his leg, and a couple puncture wounds on the outside. The hardest part will be to keep him from licking at the stitches until we can get them taken out next week.

puppy

ETA: Thanks for all the well-wishes, everyone! Twist and I appreciate it. I also think it would be worth looking into getting the section of fence facing the property the other dogs are coming from wired to keep them out.

Edited by author Mon Dec 17, '12 4:42pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 3:11am PST 
I'm glad he is feeling better now. Dog attacks are very scary. Sometimes these things just happen though, it's happened to me, just a loose dog out at the wrong time, nothing you can do but move on if you have no solid proof. I hope he heals up quick. smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3