GO!

Dew claw infection

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gus

did someone say- 'cheese'??

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 8:22pm PST 
Gus's front dew claw is infected.

This is day 11 of the infection itself.

Day 1-7 I did soaks at home

Day 1-5 tried using Colodial silver and tea tree oil.

Day 6 - 11 applied an antibiotic and antifungal cream

Day 8 - 11 started oral antibiotic

Vet said to wrap it... I use vet wrap at night, because I can't watch him (even with a cone)....

And we use cotton gauze during the day so it can breathe, but still be wrapped.

It is getting worse. Puffy, red, and the red is starting to spread down and up. The big pad on his foot - the side near the dew claw is getting red and puffy.

The skin going up toward the little pad up near his ankle is red and hot...

I'm taking him to the vet first thing in the morning.

Would removing the dew claw be a good option at this point?

This is not the first infection he has had. But this one is not going away.

With Christmas coming up, I'm worried he would get really sick (spreading infection) and there wouldn't be a vet available nearby (ours closes 2 days)....
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 3:02am PST 
glad you are getting him in to see the vet. this doesnt sould good
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 3:29am PST 
I agree, it doesn't sound good. If removing the dew claw would remove the infection, I would do it. Also, if your vet is not able to treat this, ask for a referral. Sometimes everyone needs help, and getting a referral is not saying your vet isn't good, just that you want the best for your dog.

Good Luckhug
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 4:34am PST 
Sounds to me like the oral antibiotics should have been the first choice, along with lancing the pocket to drain the infection. As long as there is a closed pocket of infection ANY healing is going to be prolonged.
I would be finding another, more proactive vet, I think!
[notify]
Jim

Throw the Dang- Ball!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 4:55am PST 
How did he get the infection? Do you keep his dews clipped short? As long as you keep them clipped and don't allow them to get overgrown, I don't see why they would get infected.
[notify]
Gus

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 5:06am PST 
I didn't take him to the vet until later.... As I said - not our first paw issue. So for the first few days I did what we usually do when he has a red pad or sore.

It has no openings... no sore, no tear.... no bleeding, no draining.

So the delay in antibiotics was my fault.... not the vet.

Will see what they say.... Thanks smile
[notify]
Jim

Throw the Dang- Ball!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 5:09am PST 
It sounds like the nail was overgrown and grew into the skin. The antibiotics should help. You can also try putting Neosporin on the infected toe 2 or 3x daily. If it doesn't respond within 3 days, go back to the vet. I hope I was of help.
[notify]
Gus

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 5:36am PST 
Ah, sorry Jim... I forgot to answer your question smile

No - it wasn't over grown. We keep his nails short. He's really good about nail clipping.

We think he hurt it playing. But at the appointment, the vet said the joint was good, the nail wasn't cracked.

It started with just the "toe" of the dew claw getting red, then it started getting puffier (that's when I took him in).

We've been doing the cream for over a week now, soaks, and started orals 3 days ago. Will see what the vet says...
[notify]
Jim

Throw the Dang- Ball!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 5:54am PST 
I think Gus just needs a little more time on the antibiotics. Is it a front or rear dew claw? If he hasn't had his neuter yet, the dews can be removed at the same time he is under for his neutering. Rear dews are not well attached anyway. But, the front ones are usually well attached. They actually help stabilize a dog when they are stopping fast. When the front dew claws are removed it also removes a dog's balance when running and making a fast stop or turn. If Gus is into any type of sport, removing the front dew claws would probably be a bad idea. Are you seeing any pus in the area? Has the vet cleaned it out? You may want to have the vet do an x-ray to rule out slivers or splinters. Is he licking the area a lot? Dogs will instinctively lick wounds. Do you have an e-collar for him?
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 8:30am PST 
My bigger concern would be the fact that he keeps getting these infections for no clear reason. Dew claw injuries are common, and infections can easily get into injuries on the feet, but generally you can easily explain the initial injury. While infection is a real risk, most of the time it doesn't happen. So to have repeated infections with loose or no connection to injury is somewhat alarming to me.

I would press your vet to be more proactive, and if he doesn't respond, find a different vet. If it were my dog, I would be looking into x-rays and biopsies. I would have questions like, is there an underlying growth? Is there a specific bacteria we are dealing with? Could there be an autoimmune disease in play?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2