GO!

Unsettled stomach

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 12:26pm PST 
I have an 8 mo old Bernese MFN dog and an 11 mo old mix. My female BMD has had soft stool & explosive diarrhea for the past 3 days. Had her stool checked 2wks ago for worms, nothing. My male had the scooters earlier this week. They have been on Blue Buffalo grain free duck formula and some can. They do chew sticks from the bushes in the yard. Any ideas what is happening with these 2? I don't know if I should call the vet and have her stool rechecked? We got her 2mos ago and she had worms. We did 2 rounds of 3day powder. I feel so bad
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 1:16pm PST 
Is your male back to normal now? If they're suddenly symptomatic, then everything clears up on it's own, it's probably a stomach virus. From your post, it sounds like your male caught something and gave it to your female.

If it is ongoing, make sure your vet checked for giardia when they did the fecal tests. There is a more accurate overnight test that can be done.

Certainly if you think either one is at risk of dehydrating, or if symptoms are worsening or not clearing up go to the vet.

Edited by author Sun Dec 16, '12 1:17pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 4:56pm PST 
Thank you for your response. I just learned about an hour ago rhododendron leaves are toxic and well she ripped a branch off today and was chewing. She didn't eat any but did chew on it. I am thinking this is what has her sick. The male too. I am not feeding until the morning, then I am going to do pumpkin and rice. If she doesn't keep that in, I'm calling the vet. She is her spry usual self, running and playing like normal. She is also very hungry but I want her stomach to settle.
[notify]

Jim

Throw the Dang- Ball!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 5:07am PST 
Let your dogs outside periodically, so that they can eat grass. Grass will help them vomit and get rid of what is upsetting their stomachs.

If you notice diarrhea, fast them for 24 hours. They probably will not want to eat anyway. It's best to let the stomach rest and reset itself after something like this.

Make sure your dogs have water available at all times. Vomiting and diarrhea can easily cause dehydration.

After a 24 hour fast, feed a bland diet. Plain boiled chicken and white rice is the best. See how they react to food being reintroduced.

If your dogs aren't back to their normal self within 24 hours, see a vet. They could have contracted a virus.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 11:38am PST 
I would not be letting your eat lots of random grass, unless you know for sure the grass was not treated with any chemicals or fertilizers. Some grasses have barbs that can irritate the dog's stomach and throat, which could make an upset tummy worse because dog do not always vomit after eating grass.

Edited by author Mon Dec 17, '12 11:43am PST

[notify]
Jim

Throw the Dang- Ball!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 12:03pm PST 
I think if it’s your own lawn, you should know if the grass was treated with chemicals or fertilizers! MOST grasses that people plant in their own backyard are not filled with barbs and are very much safe for dogs to eat.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 12:13pm PST 
Not everyone has their own lawn. shrug I'd also be concerned about run off from neighboring areas.

Edited by author Mon Dec 17, '12 12:24pm PST

[notify]
Jim

Throw the Dang- Ball!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 12:15pm PST 
Well, when I was talking about letting the dog out to eat grass, I was referring to letting the dog in the backyard, not to just wander around town and find a lawn. laugh out loud
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 12:22pm PST 
I know but this is a public forum, someone's Google search could land them here, so be specific. I've spoken to people before who thought all grass everywhere was safe for dogs to eat, they didn't realize about barbed or chemically treated grass.

Edited by author Mon Dec 17, '12 12:34pm PST

[notify]
Jim

Throw the Dang- Ball!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 12:49pm PST 
Your average backyard lawn is fine for a dog to graze on, as long as you haven’t treated it with chemicals or fertilizers.

Edited by moderator Mon Dec 17, '12 4:33pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2