GO!

Bordetella vaccine...side effects??

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Huckleberry

The opposite of- cross-eyed.

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 7:37pm PST 
Hi Everyone!

Has anyone here ever had a dog who had side effects from the bordetella vaccine?

Huck had his last Monday, and this morning he woke up with lots of sniffles and a clear nasal discharge. He also has done some reverse sneezing twice, and sounds congested. He was licking his nose a lot. No coughing.

I called the vet this morning and she said to give him benadryl twice a day and she also was going to send home some antibiotics with my neighbor who is a vet tech in case his nasal discharge turned yellow/green over the weekend.

The benadryl did make a noticeable difference. He is resting comfortably now with no sniffles.

The vet said this is not a side effect of the bordetella vaccine.

I am worried about Huck because he got very very sick a few days after he had his first rabies vaccine. I always thought it was a delayed reaction then too. He had severe vomiting, diarreha with blood and he was very itchy. He recovered completely after a few days and a few vet visits.

Any opinions?
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 8:40pm PST 
I foster with a rescue and they give all of the dogs a bordetella vaccine when they first come up. A lot of them end up sneezing or coughing a little bit. I think it's from the vaccine, but the rescue says that they have kennel cough from the shelter. It's probably a combo of the dogs being vaccinated while under stress. I think it's like the flu vaccine in people, how that can cause "flu-like symptoms".
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 9:47pm PST 
The literature that comes with the nasal form of the bordetella vaccine lists sneezing, nasal discharge and coughing as common side effects of the vaccine. We see it often in our boarding clients who have recently received the vaccine.
Antibiotics are contraindicated as they render the vaccine useless by killing off the antibodies the body is trying to produce in response to the vaccine.
Both our local vets have these side effects listed on the computer printed receipt for the vaccine.
[notify]

John (2001 ~ 2012)

My Guardian- Angel

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 1:50am PST 
All my dogs have their Bordatella vaccine. However, they always sneeze after getting it. It’s just from the vaccine. It’s also very stressful for them to go to the vet and get vaccinated. The Bordatella vaccine is a lot like the flu vaccine for people.
[notify]
Anna

Go With the Flow

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 2:19am PST 
A lot of dogs sneeze after getting the vaccine. My dogs certainly do after they are vaccinated. Do not give antibiotics recently after giving any vaccine, as this will cause the vaccine itself not to be effective. Your vet can probably tell you about the side effects associated with the bordatella vaccine.
[notify]
Huckleberry

The opposite of- cross-eyed.

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 2:30pm PST 
Ok, thanks for the replies, everyone!
I am thinking I may need to switch vets. My vet did not print out anything with side effects listed when Huck got the vaccine, and when I asked if this could be side effects from the vaccine she said no. I also don't understand why she would say he might have to go on antibiotics if they would render the vaccine useless. frown
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 3:24pm PST 
If the coughing and sneezing gets worse, sometimes it can lead to bronchitis or pneumonia- that's when you would want the antibiotics. But if it were my dog I would try to let it run its course. Since your dog has a smushed face, you really want to keep a close eye on it.
[notify]
Jim

Throw the Dang- Ball!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 6:13am PST 
The bordetella vaccine is also known as the kennel cough vaccine. Some dogs will become sore at the vaccine site. Hives are also known to occur. Vomiting is rare, but does happen to some dogs. Some vets do not like to vaccinate against bordatella because of the potential adverse reactions.The bordetella vaccine protects against Canine Cough Syndrome. They also help protect the dog against parainfluenza. Kennel cough is an infectious disease. There are several different strains of kennel cough. However, most are caused by bacteria. Kennel cough is usually mild. The most common way for a dog to get kennel cough is at a boarding kennel. It is spread through an airborne bacteria. Some dogs may carry the bacteria, but not become infected with it. Most boarding facilities require that dogs receive the bordetella vaccine.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 5:55pm PST 
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/bordatella-vaccination-dogs/
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 7:04pm PST 
A vaccine that didn't stimulate your immune system in the same way as the disease itself would be useless. So some sniffling after isn't strange.

Vaccines don't take full effect for ten days--so within that time from, you (or your dog) could still be exposed and get the disease.

And the bordatella vaccine is just about the least likely to cause a significant adverse reaction, but any medication or treatment which has enough effect to be useful can also in some circumstances have an adverse effect on some individuals.

But it doesn't sound like you're dealing with that. This just sounds within the normal range of the vaccine working as it should.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2