GO!

do amoxicillin and metronidazole cause constipation

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Precious- Pearl

PROUD TO BE- PRETTY

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 1:22pm PST 
i was wondering had to add pumpkin to get her bowels moving
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 1:31pm PST 
Yep they do. antibiotics kill off good bacteria with the bad. yougurt as well as pumpkin or sweet potato should help a lot.
[notify]
Precious- Pearl

PROUD TO BE- PRETTY

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 1:52pm PST 
how much pumpkin for the bowels they gave me purina supplement won't that constipate since its for loose stools and direahea they don't state constipation mommy called they really use it for the direhea
[notify]

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 6:46pm PST 
A tablespoon with the food should be enough considering you're a chihuahua. If you're like mine, we feed 1/4 cup per meal, and that's 4 tablespoons of food total, so you should be able to adjust. Just be sure the pumpkin is cooked
[notify]
Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 8:52am PST 
Yes, they can. Any antibiotic will kill of the good bacteria that is in your dog’s gut. Start adding yogurt to her food.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 10:50am PST 
Use punctuation, so we can understand you better. Based on what I think you're saying, you are on amoxi, metronidazole, and a Purina brand supplement all of which are labeled for use with diarrhea. You are concerned that this will cause constipation.

Being labeled for use with diarrhea does not mean a product's purpose is to firm up stools. It sounds like your vet is concerned about a bacterial cause for the diarrhea, since amoxi and metronidazole are both antibiotics. They will kill the bacteria causing diarrhea, which should resolve it without the use of a stool hardener.

The Purina supplement is probably a probiotic. This is the stuff I have been given. This will add good bacteria back into the gut, since the antibiotics will kill it all - which can cause digestive upset including vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation. It's a good supplement - it's best to give it 2 - 3 hours after you have given the antibiotics, or the antibiotics will kill all of it. When I've used it, I've given the antibiotics in a bit of food, since they shouldn't be taken on an empty stomach, then fed the rest of the meal 2 - 3 hours later with the supplement to aid it's digestion.

Adding pumpkin too is probably not necessary, but it will not hurt. I would not add any dairy products since dogs can't digest lactose to begin with, plus she's now on antibiotics - some of which may be inhibited by dairy. There are not enough probiotics in yogurt to be therapeutic anyway. The Purina supplement will be enough.

Edited by author Fri Dec 14, '12 10:51am PST

[notify]
Anna

Go With the Flow

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 9:21am PST 
Use about two tablespoons in her food. How much do you feed her daily? Make sure to use canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling.
[notify]
Elizabeth

Don't Wake Me Up

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 10:04am PST 
I’m having a hard time reading your posts. Your dog is on amoxicillin, correct? You are worried about this causing constipation, right? Just because it is given for diarrhea doesn’t mean it will make the stools harder. It sounds like your pup has a bacterial infection. The medication will kill the bacteria. The supplement you are giving sounds like a probiotic. I believe it is called FortiFlora. Probiotics add good bacteria to the stomach. It is a very good supplement. I’ve used it in the past. Pumpkin isn’t necessary. Just don’t give any dairy. Yogurt doesn’t contain enough probiotics to be effective. FortiFlora will be good enough.
[notify]
Jim

Throw the Dang- Ball!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 1:23pm PST 
Have you checked her rear to make sure there are no abnormalities (growths, blockages, mats, etc)?
[notify]