GO!

Coughing Doggy

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 2:40pm PST 
So my 4 year old Australian Shepherd went to the vet a little over a week ago for his yearly exam and shots. Everything was wonderful and he was fit as a fiddle. Now he has a deep hacking cough, just started this morning, but now it's more frequent. It's like he's trying to get something out of his throat, but nothing is coming up. Has anyone else had this occur? I know I'll be taking him to the vet because of this, I'm just not sure if I should be considering an emergency vet today for it.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 4:42pm PST 
It's always better to check with your vet smile Does he sound like a cat hacking up a hairball? Because that *may* be kennel cough. Bunny had it last year, I checked with the vet and they told me to keep an eye on him and if he developed any discharge to bring him in. They also told me to keep hm quite for about a week or so. He coughed for a bit but was fine after thatsmile
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 5:58pm PST 
I agree with Bunny. You should take your dog back to the vet. It could be Kennel Cough. Good Luck!
[notify]

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 6:59pm PST 
I agree with that, kennel cough. Especially if you just had the nasal immunization for it. Sometimes the dogs do get symptoms from the innoculation. After foxxy gets hers she wheezes and honks for a couple of weeks
[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 8:09am PST 
Yes you do need to have this checked out again. Coughing could be signs of other things also. I hope it just turns out to be something simple.
[notify]
Baron

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 10:22am PST 
I work for a veterinary doctor and it could be a handful of things. If your pet isn't up to date on Bordetella (kennel cough vaccine) AND frequents dog parks, boarding facilities, and/or groomer, than yes, kennel cough is a possibility. If NOT, it could be bronchitis. We have been seeing this recently in quite a few dogs. It may not be life threatening per say but yes, definitely see a veterinarian.
[notify]
Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 8:43am PST 
Check with the vet. Is it a hacking cough? That would most likely be kennel cough. Eduardo contacted kennel cough about 2 years ago. I just rested him for three days and he was fine. He coughed for an additional three days, but it was very little.
[notify]
Elizabeth

Don't Wake Me Up

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 2:31am PST 
I agree with the other replies. Go to the vet. It sounds like kennel cough. Get better soon!
[notify]
John (2001 ~ 2012)

My Guardian- Angel

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 2:35am PST 
It does sound like kennel cough. A lot of dogs get it right after the vaccine. Well, it’s not really the disease, but just a side effect. William will breathe with difficulty after getting his.
[notify]