GO!

Home made diet for dog with kidney disease

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 2:20pm PST 
Hi...I have a Shi tzu named Chloe with chronic kidney failure diagnosed 8 months ago, Diet is the biggest problem as she refuses the dry or canned low protein vet recommended food. i found your site searching for NIGHT TIME PANTING" and am wondering if my attempts to get her to eat are causing stomach distress or if this is just a kidney related problem. She is on BP meds and two holistic meds.
Does anyone have a good homemade diet for this condition. I think I am giving her too much protein.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 5:26pm PST 
Please get your dog's test results and join K9KidneyDiet, a yahoo group. They are incredibly knowledgeable about feeding and caring for kidney dogs.

For starters read through the information here.
http://www.dogaware.com/health/kidney.html

The way Ms. Straus fed her kidney dog was overwhelming for me as I hadn't fed fresh food to the dogs before but I took away to feed as much protein as possible but limit the phosphorus and made up a diet from white rice and stewed chicken with powdered egg shell or calcium carbonate for calcium. The egg white from that egg was given to Sassy as it is very low in phosphorus and my healthy dog got the yolk so no part of the egg was wasted! I figured out how to use nutritiondata.com to see how much of what was in the food I gave her and managed to feed her 29% protein on less than half the usual amount of phosphorus a healthy dog needs. I found a special rice, glutinous rice - not sticky or sushi rice - that has even less phosphorus than regular white rice and varied her diet by adding small amounts of beef, liver, pork, pasta and potato to the recipe. I could easily feed more or less fat by taking out the chicken skin and adding it back to her tolerance level.

It turned out Sassy couldn't tolerate much fat but protein really perked her up, she got stronger. Hydration is key, if your vet mentions subcutaneous fluids do try it, they gave Sassy another happy year. The day after her first treatment was an eye opener, her lack of energy wasn't age but dehydration - she was so chipper that day!

The first time Sassy lost her appetite it turned out a simple antacid worked wonders. Kidney dogs tend to have acidic systems and can get ulcers and reflux, antacids can work really well. Ask your vet about this.
[notify]