GO!

Dosage for glucosamine sulfate

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Lilly CD CDX- JD JDX AD

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 1:16am PST 
So i picked up some glucosamine tabs from the pet shop however after this bottle i might switch to human form ones much cheaper. What is a daily maintainence dose for an 18 kilo dog the tabs are 500mg of glucosamine.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 7:08am PST 
I have always just dosed the amount suggested here but I never dropped the dose down, probably should try that as Max dislikes the stuff anyway.
http://dogaware.com/health/arthritissupps.html
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 9:28am PST 
Dreamy is about 65lbs and starting 2-3 weeks ago, we started giving her 1000mg of glucosamine every morning. We've seen dramatic results already. We just bought it at walmart I think and we dip the pill in peanut butter and throw it in with her food every morning. Since your pup is aboit half Dreamy's weight, I would try 500mg every morning. Just remember, it only works if you remember it every day and it takes a couple weeks to kick in.
[notify]

Lilly CD CDX- JD JDX AD

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 8:39pm PST 
Some people say they feed 500 mg morning and 500 at night. On the bottle it says do this for 4-6 weeks then the maintainence dose is just 500mg per day. I gave her 500 mg this morning and her poo was a little softer and she peed a bit more to or it could just be my imagination.... Is 1000mg a day too much for a dog with no joint issues ? whats a good dose to just protect the joints. Is there any side effects from glucosamine as she competes so i need her feeling her best smile
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 3:41am PST 
I don think think theres any side effects but I wouldnt give 1000mg if theres no problems yet. I think 500mg would be more than enough as just a maintinence amount. Dreamy was getting to the point of limping, going slow up steps, and not getting up if she didnt have to. 1000mg in the morning has worked wonders for her. We dont do a second dose in the evening. She's even been walking about a mile and a half a day without problems.
[notify]
Lilly CD CDX- JD JDX AD

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 3:15am PST 
Since starting Lilly on the tablets shes had bouts of loose stool? should i continue with them or take her off? thinking
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 6:04am PST 
It may take awhile for her system to adjust. As long as it's not diarrhea, I'd cut the dosage down a bit and continue. If they firm up, stay at that amount for a little longer and then add back in a bit more slowly to reach the desired amount.
[notify]
Lilly CD CDX- JD JDX AD

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 11:28am PST 
Well some has been soft and squishy and some diarreaha, shes already only on the maintainence dose which is 250mg morning and night which is low compared to others on here shrug
[notify]