GO!

Fractured ankle and torn ligaments

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Sheeba

Always remember- the 7th of Feb- 2009 â

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 3:50am PST 
Ok, well Sheeba is clumsy and full of energy, anyway, a couple of weeks back she was running around the yard and in her mood of craziness she ran up the stairs and jumped on our outside couch but knocked her leg into the arm rest. My brother and I noticed Sheeba limping but she initially shook it off. (From memory I think she also slipped coming up the steps), a few days later we noticed her avoiding putting weight on her leg, we took her to the vet and they gave us anti inflammatories for it, while she was on them she'd stopped limping, however once she came off them she was worse. The vets then took an x-ray and found that she's fractured her hock/ankle and done ligament damage. Tomorrow she's getting a splint.

My main question is what can I do to relieve the stress/pain and in the post recovery time would it be a good idea to start up water therapy?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 5:38am PST 
The vet should be giving you something for the pain when the splint is put on. You will need to find things like a frozen filled kong and other quiet activitities to keep her calm and quiet while she heals,it is very hard for active young dogs to be restricted. The rest you should ask your vet when you go in but we had a poodle mix when I was young that had to have surgery for luxating patellas,first one leg then the other and putting her in a tub deep enough for her to swim and holding her so she had to was wonderful therapy and got her legs strong again more quickly without the impact of walking or running.wishes and please keep us posted.
[notify]
Sheeba

Always remember- the 7th of Feb- 2009 â

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 6:22am PST 
Update:
she got more bandaging on her splint on Saturday which then caused rubbing on the top of her leg, we got it re-bandaged on Monday (we are pretty sure the vet put the extra bandages on too tight on Saturday) as that's what they believed to be causing the irritation
Nicole Fox: However, by today the bandage had been rubbing so much she has a large raw wound on the top of her leg as well as sores on her paw and hock, as a result the vets have taken off her splint and bandages so we are now back to square one, only this time with added sores, we are very unhappy with the service and hoping to change vet clinics.
[notify]