GO!

Tricks To Get Urine Samples

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Amanda

Did You Say- "Walk" !?!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 3:35am PST 
You can also try using a low edge bowl. Whatever you use, make sure to wash it with hot and soapy water, then let it air dry before you use it to collect your dog's urine. You could try taking her for a walk on a leash. If you have to walk her 10x in one day to get the sample, that is what you will have to do. If you don't have a screw-top jar to place the urine sample in, you can use a new, clean plastic sandwich bag. Just make sure to store the sample in the refridgerator.
[notify]
Kristen

Rub My Belly!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 3:39am PST 
As Amanda suggested, a low edge bowl could work well. You will probably have to take her on quite a few walks. Just as soon as she squats, stick the bowl under her. The urine can be stored in a sandwich bag quite easily, too. Again, like Amanda said, make sure to refridgerate the sample, unless it will spoil!
[notify]
Bridget

Just Going With- the Flow

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 4:09am PST 
There have been a lot of great suggestions on what to use! Just take your dog outside and let her go to the bathroom. When she goes, slip the container under her urine stream. Then, take it to the vet!

EDIT: wishes

Edited by author Thu Dec 6, '12 4:17am PST

[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 4:21am PST 
To the last few posters... I can't speak for Chance, but I KNOW HOW to collect, we just have dogs who will REFUSE to urinate if they see anyone following them!!!!
I have multiple dogs, I work WITH a vet... these dogs will not pee when out on a leash with a person following behind to collect. Obviously, making them hold their urine even longer is ill advised since they are already suffering from a UTI.
[notify]
Amanda

Did You Say- "Walk" !?!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 4:27am PST 
I guess Amanda is just easy. The one time I had to collect from her she squatted, I collected, and off to the vet. I would also like to add - if it's warm outside where you live, it might be a good idea to put the sample in a cooler full of ice to preserve it until you get to the vet. Getting the sample for Amanda's urinalysis was very simple, so I'm just going by my experience. It sounds like you should just go ahead and have the vet do a cytocentesis.
[notify]
Kristen

Rub My Belly!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 4:35am PST 
Make sure you wash your hands before doing the collection, as you don't want to contaminate the sample. When I needed to collect from Kristen, I just used a clean plastic cup. I also cleaned her vulva before getting the sample, just to make sure there was no contamination. It wasn't very hard, as she really needed to go and as soon as we went outside on the leash she urinated and I stuck the cup underneath her. Then, I put a piece of seran wrap over it with a rubber band and took it to the vet.
[notify]
Bridget

Just Going With- the Flow

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 4:45am PST 
You want to talk about hard, I had to do this with a cat once! First, I had to remove all the old litter. Then, clean the entire litter box. By clean, I don't just mean rinse out, I had to scrub this thing with bleach! Then, I had to fill the litter box with packing peanuts and pray my cat would go on them. Finally, after she went, I had to remove all the dirty urinated on packing peanuts and use an eye dropper to get a small sample of urine for the vet to test! laugh out loud
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 7:59am PST 
On the tv show Mythbusters, they had to try and collect dog urine at a dog park for an experiment. They placed pans around the bottom of a fire hydrante, and they also had a papaer cup on the end of a stick they would try to put under a dog just in time. Didn't work to good but it was fun to watch them try.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 3:50pm PST 
Yep, what Toto said. I've been collecting canine urine samples since I was 14 and I turned 40 last month.

We've even had people Chance trusts and loves out in the park with us try to do sneak free catches.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 6:52pm PST 
Would Chance pee on a large garbage bag or clean tarp?

You could then use a syringe or re-purposed turkey baster to collect the pee...she wouldn't have to worry about someone lurking behind her, but she might be weirded out by the plastic/tarp noise under her feet.

But then, if you having this much trouble with a free-caught sample it might be easier on everyone to sedate and do the cysto.

I'm thanking my lucky stars that my cats both allow me to collect pee with a ladle....
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3