GO!

Tricks To Get Urine Samples

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 10:53pm PST 
I want to get a urine sample from Chance.

Nothing is wrong but she did have a problem with UTIs at the end of 2010/beginning of 2011 so I like to test twice a year.

Problem: the dog will not "pee in a cup."

I've even tried a ladle and long-handled kid's beach shovel when she's marking a spot another dog has just peed on.
As soon as she knows something's there, she stops peeing and will not go if anyone is close enough to her to get a sample.

Any other ideas?

I hate putting her through the stress of another cysto just for a routine urine sampling.
[notify]
Jocelyn

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 12:39am PST 
I had to do this, too. I was like "WHAT?" The vet gave me this low edge tray. I took Jocelyn out to pee on a leash and when she squatted I put the tray under her. I then poured it into a plastic cup so I wouldn't spill any on the way to the vet. It wasn't my favorite cup to carry around. A friend of mine has to do this once a month for her dog. She actually uses a saucer. The size of your dog determines what you can use to collect the urine. Just follow your dog around until it's pee pee time! Just be careful not to spill the urine. This is easiest to do during the first pee of the day. It's honestly a lot easier than it sounds. I've actually had to do this with Jocelyn, Johnathon, Margie, and Kiana. You could try using a plate. Make sure to give your pup a pat when you are collecting the urine, as they know they are not doing something wrong or feel too uncomfortable!
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 5:11am PST 
I never have any luck collecting a urine sample. However, my vet will let me leave one of the pack, one of the people there will take the dog out to pee after being in a kennel for a few hours and get a sample. LOL, I guess practice makes perfect or maybe the dogs are distracted enough by being at the vets office to produce for them.
[notify]

Walter

Happiness is...a- RAW FED dog!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 5:15am PST 
Actually, getting urine samples isn’t all that difficult. It’s a good idea to test twice a year and keep on top of your dog’s health! Next time you let your dog out to use the restroom, take her out on a leash and bring a plastic cup with you. As soon as she squats, stick the cup under her. You will need to keep her on a leash and follow her around. Eventually, she will have to pee. You could even help move things along by giving her a big bowl of water with some chicken broth in it!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 5:16am PST 
Toto is impossible as he was not allowed to urinate on a leash due to showing. Sadly, since he has chronic UTI's, he needs lots of urine samples! I just have the vets use a catheter... easier for him AND them!
[notify]
Mogly

Happiness is an- Akita

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 5:59am PST 
I couldn’t imagine my boys not being allowed to urinate on leash! If your dog is suffering from chronic urinary tract infections, I recommend giving him some watermelon at least once a day or mixed in with his food. A catheter might work best for Chance, if you can’t get the urine sample yourself. However, it’s going to be a lot less stressful if you can get the sample yourself.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 5:01pm PST 
This dog is NOT easy to get a free-catch urine sample from.
Our last success was in 2010 and that was the bare minimum needed to run the sample.

6 vet techs and 2 vets from 2 different vet clinics have not been able to free-catch.

We get 1 attempt to free-catch per month. When that isn't successful, she will NOT pee if anyone is close enough to her to try again. Even on leash. For an entire month.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 1:57am PST 
My method is to take the dog on a walk they love to mark on and whip a frying pan under the dog. It can work with difficult dogs. Maybe when she is relaxed and happily walking along you can try that.

Edited by author Thu Dec 6, '12 1:59am PST

[notify]
Amanda

Did You Say- "Walk" !?!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 2:30am PST 
Hello, Amanda's mom here. We just joined tonight, but I've been reading the Dogster forums for some time now. This is my first post and I'm so excited! I hope I can maybe be of some help here. Dogs are most likely to need to urinate right upon waking or after eating. The best way to collect the urine is in an old margarine container, tin pie pan, or old frying pan (like Jackson suggested). Since your girl is so hard to follow and seems to like her privacy, keep her inside for a long time until you know for sure she has to go very badly. Once you get the urine, put it in a screw-top jar and place it in the refridgerator, unless you plan on visiting the vet within 2 hours. If you can't get the urine from your dog, then you will have to take her to the vet and have them do it.
[notify]
Kristen

Rub My Belly!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 3:30am PST 
You will need a clean container and a saucer. As soon as you see her squat, stick the saucer right under her. If she urinates on cement or another hard surfice, you can use an eye dropper to pick up some urine. You will need to get the sample to the vet soon after collecting it. If you can't get the sample yourself, have the vet do it with cytocentesis (a needle directing into the bladder).
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3