GO!

Shorty's tummy issues. Advice?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Precious- Pearl

PROUD TO BE- PRETTY

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 3:12am PST 
have you tried probiotics for dogs they may help?i have been to the vet myself going for an ultrasound on thursday mommy changed food to quickly and been vomit once a day.also eating a vet diet
[notify]
Jocelyn

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 4:37am PST 
Probiotics are a very good idea. Dogs with sensitive stomachs must be switched gradually to a new diet. Prescription diets are the best choice for dogs with any serious medical problem than can be controlled through diet.
[notify]
Walter

Happiness is...a- RAW FED dog!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 5:03am PST 
Shorty is a tiny little guy! You can’t let a dog eat chew sticks for meals. Prescription I/D is a very poor quality food and I recommend you start your dog on something a lot better. If I were a dog, I wouldn’t want to be eating rice, corn, and starch either! You need to look for a food that has a similar nutrient profile as I/D, but with much better ingredients. For the vomiting, you can try adding a few slices of mandarin oranges (cut up very small) into whatever food you choose to feed him. You should also mix his canned food about 50/50 food and water, to keep him hydrated. Instead of Pepcid, try the mandarin oranges, as they work the same way. They have been used for a very long time to cure stomach ailments, such as nausea and vomiting.

I’ve never had a dog with a problem like this. But, before spending thousands of dollars on tests, try a good quality diet!
[notify]

Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 5:07am PST 
I will always eat raw chicken. Me and my brothers were a little too young when we were taken away from our mother, the people who rescued my brothers had problems with them eating enough, but I would always gobble raw chicken. (raw chicken, puppy milk, and high quality grain free canned food and I would eat from my person's fingers when I wouldn't eat from my bowl)

Raw food may be worth a try, but be aware that all vets don't agree with a raw diet. You could also try a cooked diet, check out the raw or cooked food forum.
One other thing, if you had a food that worked good and your vet wont' give it to you, unless he has a good reason like it being an incomplete specialty diet, you could find a different vet who will give you what you need. You could also forget the kibble and stay on canned, it is supposed to be very good and for a small dog, shouldn't be too expensive.

I would also agree to cut down on your food amount, or the number of meals. Us little dudes need a surprisingly small amount of food to eat.

Good Luck
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 10:40am PST 
Just a comment on the pepcid: I had to buy some for Joey (although I just bought generic famotidine). The pills were small, and OK for Joey, but if you want to try the right dosage for your tiny dog, I would get a pill cutter maybe a dollar store has one) and cut the pill into fourths, if that would provide the right dosage.

I agree that good food is very important, and that making food changes slowly is important, too.
[notify]
Kenya

aka: Barkly- McBarker

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 12:32pm PST 
To help soothe his tummy and intestinal tract, I have had wonderful results with slippery elm "syrup". Take 2 slippery elm capsules and empty them into 1/2 cup purified water. (This is half a recipe, since your dog is small). Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 or 15 minutes. Cool.
It will be like a syrup. Orally dose about (and I'm guessing here since Shorty is so small), 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon 3 or 4 times a day.

SE is very good at coating and soothing the stomach and intestinal tract. My dog was having an issue with vomiting about every 15 minutes about a month ago, I don't know what he got into, but it didn't sit well with him. I gave him one dose of the SE and it stopped the vomiting right away. I continued to give it to him for a couple of days after, just for soothing purposes. It is also helpful when changing foods.

If you need more information, you can just search "Slippery Elm Syrup (or Soup)
and you will find more in-depth info on it. I have had very good results with it and try to always keep SE on hand.

I hope Shorty starts feeling better soon. Poor little guy. And I know how stressful it is for you too. hug
[notify]
Bridget

Just Going With- the Flow

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 4:50am PST 
This is a condition you will probably have to monitor for the rest of his life. Try fasting him for 12 hours and only letting him have water. After the fast is over, try introducing him onto a bland food of cottage cheese and cooked ground beef. You can also give Immodium AD for the stomach issues. Bridget is on a digestive supplement called Only Natural Pet Ultimate Daily Canine Vitamins Plus, and I can highly recommended it!
[notify]
Bianca

Wake Me When- There's Food

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 5:50am PST 
Have you ever considered the chew sticks might be the culprit here? Try feeding her on a diet of white rice and boiled hamburger for a few days. Pepto Bismol works very well for stomach problems in dogs. You can also give some Benadryl just to calm him down and give his stomach a chance to calm down with him. Some dogs also benefit from a weekly fasting.
[notify]
Bridget

Just Going With- the Flow

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 6:49am PST 
I think it would be a very good idea to fast Shorty. Then, offer him some boiled chicken and rice. You can mix plain yogurt in with his food for the good bacteria. Also, you should be giving him Pedialyte in with his water to keep him from getting dehydrated. Pepto Bismol can be given every 3 hours. Don't feed any table scraps to a dog that has such a sensitive stomach. You should also try feeding Shorty three small meals per day instead of one large one.
[notify]
Bianca

Wake Me When- There's Food

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 6:59am PST 
Give your dog Gatorade instead of water to restock his fluids and offer electrolytes. Boil white rice to help settle your dog's tummy. Add ground beef or turkey to your dog's diet if the sickness and diarrhea stop. Get your dog to the veterinarian if the symptoms carry on.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4