GO!

DAPP Vaccination?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  
Pookie

plush destroyer

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 3:00pm PST 
Wow, this forum has really changed. confused

ALL healthy dogs should get at least one DAPP vaccination (series if a puppy) in it's lifetime. Not vaccinating is as foolish as over vaccinating. Distemper and parvo are NOT something to mess with and can be life-threatening. I see puppies come in on a weekly basis with parvo and get put down or go home with a $2000 bill because their owner didn't vaccinate them or bought vaccines from the feed store. Do not trust a feed store to properly store vaccines; this is your dog's life in your hands. One DAPP vaccination is sufficient for lifetime immunity.

The lepto vaccine is something only you can decide on. How prevalent is lepto in your area? Do you have a lot of wildlife where you live? Do you go hiking/camping with your dog frequently? These are all things to consider. The lepto vaccine can cause serious side effects, but if your dog gets lepto that can be life-threatening. You must weigh the pros and cons, factoring in your lifestyle and area.

Edited by author Tue Dec 18, '12 3:02pm PST

[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 5:19pm PST 
Baron's post was copied word for word from ehow.

Hadley- you say your dog was never vaccinated, but you got her as an adult. Don't you think it's a possibility she was vaccinated by her previous owners or where she came from?

I asked me vet about running titers on my dogs- $248 for a "vaccine titer" and $247 for a rabies titer! Holy cow... I have two dogs and two cats, there's no way I could afford that every year! If anything, I would titer my cats as I believe they are more likely to develop issues from vaccines. As it is I just decided to only get my one cat his rabies and we skipped his distemper combo vaccine. He refuses to go outside and is not exposed to outside cats. I am more reluctant to skip vaccines for my dogs because of fostering. My dogs are frequently exposed to dogs that have come directly from a shelter environment, and I know all the nasty germs that can come from there. The rescue occasionally gets puppies that pop with parvo, and we even had an adult dog come down with parvo once! Lucky for me- not at my house!
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 6:54pm PST 
Sarah, did you check out the prices for the Dodds clinic? I don't recall them being anywhere near that expensive (unless that price was for all of your pets??).

We titred for parvo and distemper in the spring (it was about $100 if I recall correctly). Her antibody levels came back high enough for both that the vet was confident in not re-vaccinating. We will titre again in 2015.

I'm fortunate that the trainer I go to accepts titre results as proof of immunity and doesn't require Bordatella. I don't know of any trainer in my area that will take unvaccinated, untitred dogs in class.
[notify]

Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 10:15pm PST 
Wow Sarah, that's expensive! We had distemper/parvo titre done this year as part of Chance's junior wellness visit and it was only $66.25. Rabies titre is not accepted in lieu of vaccination here.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 10:15pm PST 
Double post - got garbled computer code page when I submitted.

Edited by author Tue Dec 18, '12 10:16pm PST

[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 12:36am PST 
FYI, apparently the holidays have arrived early. Almost every new pup posting on this topic is a fake whose photo has been taken from Petfinder.

And that includes Eduardo/Gus, Jim/Scrappy, John/Duncan and Alexander/Phantom.

Shame on you. naughty You've all been flagged.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24679718?rvp=1
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 5:21am PST 
This drives me CRAZY... if you do not respond to their garbage you run the risk of novice readers actually believing the garbage they are spouting, yet if you DO respond, you are feeding them, which I guess, is their goal.
Some people need a real life!!!!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 5:23am PST 
Rexy, how DO you find those photos in Petfinder? I spent HOURS Monday trying but was unable to match any of them. You can pmail me if you'd rather since we are pretty much off topic here.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 7:00am PST 
Google image search found them for me.
[notify]
Dogster HQ

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 11:00am PST 
Hi,

We have closed this thread. Threads can be closed temporarily or permanently for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common reasons are: the thread has gone off topic; the thread is not in the 'spirit' of Dogster; the thread is no longer fun, friendly or informational; the thread has been discussed at length in other threads; or we cannot provide adequate moderation at this time.

Please let HQ know if you have any questions.

HQ

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4