GO!

DAPP Vaccination?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 5:12am PST 
The only reason that PetSmart requires a DAPP vaccine is because profit-hungry drug companies and veterinarians have scared them into thinking that any dog without one is terribly diseased and dangerous. I don’t blame you for being scared of vaccines! If at all possible, stop giving the rabies vaccine, too! DAPP is a vaccine against distemper, adenovirus, parvovirus, and parainfluenza. In my personal opinion, it is never okay to vaccination with DAPP. Do not get the vaccine! Find a training class that does not require vaccines or pick up a book on clicker training!
[notify]
Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 5:12am PST 
The only reason that PetSmart requires a DAPP vaccine is because profit-hungry drug companies and veterinarians have scared them into thinking that any dog without one is terribly diseased and dangerous. I don’t blame you for being scared of vaccines! If at all possible, stop giving the rabies vaccine, too! DAPP is a vaccine against distemper, adenovirus, parvovirus, and parainfluenza. In my personal opinion, it is never okay to vaccination with DAPP. Do not get the vaccine! Find a training class that does not require vaccines or pick up a book on clicker training!
[notify]
Shayne CGC,- RL2

Shayne- Disc Doggin in- the 'Burgh!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 8:51am PST 
You will be hard pressed to find ANY training facility that does not require an initial set of vaccines (whether that is a combo shot like DAPP/DHLPP or a dog who gets them as individual vaccines [which is what I try to do typically, and I don't overvaccinate]).

It is critically important for the safety of ALL the dogs and puppies that use the training facility that dogs are protected from those DEADLY viruses (and that no dogs are spreading them).

If a facility did NOT require proof of initial vaccine (I don't need yearly's or anything), I would not use them unless they required current titers for dogs who do not have proof of vaccine.

If you have never ever vaccinated her for anything other than rabies (and she never got a series of puppy vaccines), you may be able to get a titer as proof of immunization to take the class but not all places will accept titers or know how to read them (the titer may say she doesn't have sufficient antibodies to be considered immune).
[notify]

Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 9:00am PST 
DAPP is distemper, adenovirus, parvovirus, and parainfluenza. Everybody has their own opinion when it comes to vaccines. One DAPP vaccine probably isn’t going to cause problems. But, you do need to do your own research and come to your own conclusions. I’ve taken Eduardo to obedience classes and they never required me to show that he had been vaccinated. Maybe ask your vet if he or she knows of a local trainer that doesn’t require vaccination. Or, you could do an online search and call around.
[notify]
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 1:50pm PST 
Eduardo..
I would be very careful with your dog. Distemper is not as common in some places, but there has been many REAL cases of distemper in places like FL.
Parvo is an absolutely horrible, deadly, expensive and REAL disease.
Never giving your dog any immunity to these are purely irresponsible for your dog and the public.
The reason why we don't see rabid animals often and cases of distemper is because of Vaccines! do I believe animals should be vaccinated yearly? NO.
Vaccines last a lot longer in most cases then labeled for. But you are taking a huge risk on your dogs life by never vaccinating. Unless he lives in a bubble of course
[notify]
Mary

The Spoiled- Rotten- Instigator

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 2:13am PST 
I’m pretty sure Baron did a copy and paste. I’m not going to take the time looking for the source, but I do believe it was copied from somewhere. Leptospirosis is not a core vaccine. A lot of dogs have allergic reactions to it. There are also hundreds of different types of Leptospirosis and the vaccine certainly doesn’t cover half of them! I actually lost a dog to a severe reaction to a Leptospirosis vaccine. The chances of a dog being exposed to the bacteria are very, very slim to none.
[notify]
Anna

Go With the Flow

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 2:17am PST 
Why is everyone bashing Baron? I think he is just trying to offer some help here. Most vets don’t recommend vaccinating against lepto. But, a lot still do.
[notify]
Elizabeth

Don't Wake Me Up

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 2:28am PST 
Did your dog die from the new lepto vaccine or the old one? The newer vaccine is much safer than the old one. The one made by Duramune is also safer than the others. Elizabeth has had lepto before. Any dog that goes outside should be vaccinated for it. This is my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own. Just make sure to give the lepto vaccine at least 2 weeks after any other vaccine. It is not a required vaccine, though. The parvo vaccine is probably the most important one to give.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 5:09am PST 
John, if you lost your dog from the lepto vaccine and will never give it again WHY are you recommending giving it in your previous post??
Maybe you should actually read what you are copying and pasting BEFORE you post it?

Edited by author Sun Dec 16, '12 5:10am PST

[notify]
Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 8:40am PST 
Wow John are they sure something else wasn't going on. That is not a typical reaction to a vaccine. Usually if it is a bad reaction you see swelling of the face, hives, vomiting or diarrhea. Anaphalytic reactions would be collapse loss of consciousness, white mucous membranes. I never have seen blood gushing from nose.. wow
[notify]
(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4