GO!

Is it ok that i wake my babies up when they are dreaming?!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kali Neal

Kali-Bug

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 8:59pm PST 
This is sort of a random/stupid question...

I have a year old Pit and a 7 year old Dashund. Whenever they dream I always catch myself waking them up. Especially if they are growling and running. I'm afraid its a nightmare and they are being chased or something so I wake them up. Lol. Is this ok? Or do I need to let them play out?
[notify]
Chico

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 9:32pm PST 
My dog has a lot of dreams, sometimes he barks loudly as if he was being chased or as if he's in a fight...I just leave him alone and he usually wakes up a few minutes afterward .

I don't think it's harmful to wake them up in the middle of a dream, but in my opinion it's just best to leave them alone.
[notify]
Uma

Leader of the- Pack

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 9:39pm PST 
Leave your dogs alone. There are different sleep periods. REM is the period when they are dreaming. It is also when their eyes move back and forth. Don't ever interrupt a dog's sleep cycle. It isn't good for them. The only time I will wake one of my dogs is if they are whining loudly. Uma gets nightmares and gets very scared. It's better to leave a dog alone if they are growling in their sleep. Sometimes Dustin does this and I put a dab of peanut butter on his nose to wake him up. Lonnie sometimes barks in his sleep. I try not to wake them unless they are being so loud that I cannot sleep. I can tell when Uma is having a nightmare, as her whining sounds like someone is trying to kill her. She gets super stressed out during these periods. All I do is pet her on the head and rub her back and she wakes up enough to calm down.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 9:33am PST 
Generally we tend to let it go but there are times when it is obvious that Kai is having a nightmare,during those times we do wake him but have found it best not to try to touch him until he is fully alert. As a young puppy,whatever he was dreaming about must have had him very frightened,when I reached down to wake him he snapped at me,something he would never do normally. So we have simply called to him to wake him and if he is upset enough by his dream he will come on the bed and cuddle with us until he is feeling more secure,then go back to the floor and back to sleep.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 9:38am PST 
let sleeping dogs lie.

Best advice. How would you like it if you were rousted from awesome dreams? Just don't do it. It's really cruel to wake your dog in the middle of dreaming. They never get good quality rest if you do that, and dogs need 10-15 hours a day. Dreaming is the gateway to deeper levels of sleep as well as a precursor to waking and actiity. By waking a dog, you insure that it is running on deprivation all the time, and that leads to stress, compromised immune systems, weight gain, and decreased mental functioning.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 10:20am PST 
Leave the dogs alone. There can also be a behavioral side effect -- some dogs get really startled when being abruptly awoken and could snap or do something else before they reach full conscious awareness.
[notify]
Kali Neal

Kali-Bug

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 10:34am PST 
Thanks guys!!! I never knew any of this. I just feel bad when they do dream like they are having nightmares. But from now on ill be letting them tough it out. Lol. I just worried about my babygirls...
[notify]
Jocelyn

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 2:19am PST 
Waking up a sleeping dog is a great way to get yourself bitten! It will not be on purpose, but as a normal response to fear. Let sleeping dogs lie. It's not just a saying! A dog will react the way it's owner reacts. For example, if you coo coo a dog that is scared of thunder, it will see this as a reward for the fearful behavior. It sounds crazy, but that is how dogs think! I doubt your dog is having any bad dreams. Your dog is probably just dreaming about running. Jocelyn, Johnathon and Margie all do this. Don't coddle. I never coddle my dogs. It's never good to wake a dog, person, or any other animal up during a dream. Jocelyn makes these awesome whooping noises when she dreams! What would be the purpose of waking your dog up? Just let her sleep. I'm pretty sure my dogs are just dreaming about running.
[notify]