GO!

Looks like Bunny will be going in for his rabies shots ASAP

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 1:48pm PST 
Interesting info about the right time to vaccinate pups. If i'm looking to import my next pup it will be receiving it's rabies jab at 12 weeks old. Can't be done before then. Thankfully once here it won't need another rabies shot throughout it's life.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 10:04pm PST 
In one province I am required by law to have a current rabies vaccine. So Sabi and Bud got 3 year vaccines. One province over no vaccines are required and there has not been a confirmed case of rabies since 2007 and that was a man bitten by a bat.
I have not ever given a pup a rabies vaccine before 4 months, and no vet I have been to does it earlier.
Bunny if I had confirmed cases around I would do it to.
[notify]
Kristen

Rub My Belly!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 3:41am PST 
If your state and juristiction allows, you can actually vaccinate against rabies at home. Just make sure to purchased good quality vaccines. You will want to shake the vaccine bottle before administering it. You will only need a one millimeter syringe. The vaccine should be injected subcutaneously (under the skin). Just make sure to keep your dog at home and to keep an eye on him, just in case there is a reaction to the vaccine.
[notify]

Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 1:43pm PST 
"If your state and juristiction allows, you can actually vaccinate against rabies at home. Just make sure to purchased good quality vaccines. You will want to shake the vaccine bottle before administering it. You will only need a one millimeter syringe. The vaccine should be injected subcutaneously (under the skin). Just make sure to keep your dog at home and to keep an eye on him, just in case there is a reaction to the vaccine."

The reason most areas DO NOT accept owner vaccinations against Rabies is that there are MANY reactions to this vaccine and I don't know too many owners who have epinepherine and lasix and access to oxygen should anaphalatic shock happen. Without it, your dog can easily be dead before you can transport him to the vet for treatment. Not something I am willing to fool around with and I live right next door to my veterinarians clinic.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 2:05pm PST 
Further to what Beanster said, nobody who doesn't know how to give an injection should be taking instruction from the internet. Aside from that Bunny is in Canada where to my knowledge vaccines cannot be purchased or administered by owners.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 2:59pm PST 
Seriously? shrug I am reluctant to vaccinate because of potential reactions and I should do it at home? confused How does that even address my concerns? shrug Even if it was legal here...

Sabi, the last case of rabies here was in a bat in 2007.

I had read something that sounded like very good advice about vaccines. Make the apt first thing in the morning on Mon-Thurs so vet will still be open if there is a problem. His apt is 9 am Tuesday morningway to go
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 3:23pm PST 
Yeah, Bunny, there is a lot of that going around lately!!confused
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 5:22am PST 
Bunny,
I am here in the states (PA) and it is legal to do all other shots except rabies at home,here you must have proof from the vet that rabies vaccine was given.I know people who do their own pets at home,I will trust my vet to do those as well. I do as you did and make first thing in the morning appointments,just to be safe,although my vet is available until 8p.m.. I do however have to make a 30 mile one way trip to see him. Take Care ,we hope all goes well.hugwishes and please keep us updated after you see the vet.flowers
[notify]
♥ Princess ♥

Let me sleep for- another five- mintes.

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 11:24am PST 
Second what M and K said. In PA, you can give any shot except rabies. it has to be, at the very least, given under the supervision of a vet. There may be exemptions for kennels, but they may have gone away with the puppy mill laws.

The law also requires it every 3 years, but many of the vets in my area give a 3 year shot and mark it as a 2 year shot :-(. I make them mark it as a 3 year shot for my dogs.

I am seriously hoping that the Rabies Challenge changes things. Puggy had a reaction to vaccines and I worry every time she has to have one.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 1:56pm PST 
Just thought I would let every one know, so far so good. smile Unfortunately I am not going to relax for about a month because he had some behavior issues about a month after his last vaccine. Maybe it was related and maybe it wasn't but I wont feel better till I know for sure.

Sorry to hear Princess doesn't do well with the vaccinehug

I did have a bit of a run in with the vet, which I posted about in another thread.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3