GO!

Looks like Bunny will be going in for his rabies shots ASAP

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 3:29pm PST 
I agree with M and K . That would be my concern with Bunny as well.

I just checked Princesse's records because I was given those when I got her and my in laws got her all her puppy shots. It would seem our vets think the same way as Sarah's. Her rabies vaccine was give at 4 months old.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 3:49am PST 
Aw Bunny, that stinks. Like you I try and avoid vaccines too. But I think this is the right decision.

We have been talking about moving to.the states and if we do JT will have to be loaded up too, hate the idea but we gotta do what we gotta do.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 6:09am PST 
Ours by law must be given at 12 weeks in my state but our vet usually finds a way to stretch it to 14 weeks because they know the law but honestly feel 16 to 20 weeks is easier on the puppy. They are trying to get the law changed but will have to do their best to work with it until then.hughugwishes Bunny
[notify]

Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 5:17pm PST 
Bunny ...go for it & good luck , I think its a wise move on your part with your situation...applauseapplause

Hugs & Farts
Thor...wave
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 6:41pm PST 
Thanks for the encouragement guys. It's taken me a couple of days to work up my courage , but I will be calling first thing tomorrow. The thing that concerns me the most is that Bunny had some behavior issues that started up a couple of weeks after his last vaccinesfrown Maybe it wasn't related but maybe it was, I guess we will soon find out....

edited for spelling

Edited by author Tue Dec 4, '12 6:42pm PST

[notify]
Jocelyn

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 8:50pm PST 
It seems like vaccination is pretty controversial around here. But, I don't see any reason that rabies vaccines should cause controversy. I understand the others, but not this one! It is the law. Veterinarians must comply with the laws. Most places require a dog receive a rabies vaccine after 16 weeks of age. If the pup is vaccinated before then, the vaccine usually isn't considered valid. The initial vaccine is valid for one year. Every other rabies vaccine should then be good for three years. However, some places require your dog be vaccinated against rabies yearly. The United Kingdom is lucky, as they don't require rabies vaccines at all. The law and a dog's needs are completely different, though. The government only cares about protecting the health of humans.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 3:51am PST 
Jocelyn, I think you will find a lot of controversial subjects around here!laugh out loud I was just wondering if you have heard of Dr. Jean Dodds or Ron Shultz? They have done some very interesting research showing some vaccines may give lifetime immunity. Bunny's last rabies vaccine was a 3 year shot that the vet wants to give every 2 years?shrug Also, when I checked into it, the only provincial legal requirement is that they be vaccinated against rabies, it does not say how oftensmile
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 4:05am PST 
Where I live, we are required to get our dogs licensed. You can't get a license without a rabies certificate. The vets send our town a notice that our dog was vaccinated. So, we really can't get away with it. Our vet will also stretch out the vaccines for the puppies so there not so hard on them.
[notify]
Jocelyn

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 4:31am PST 
Yes, I’m just starting to realize that things I believed were fairly cut and dry and in fact anything but! I have no heard of either of the people you mentioned. I believe that the rabies vaccine lasts much longer than three years, though. My dogs are given their rabies vaccines every three years. Your vet must have reasoning for wanting to give the vaccine more often. What state do you live in?

All my dogs have been licensed at the humane society. They are required to be licensed at 16 weeks of age or within 30 days of acquiring the dog (if the dog is older). If I fail to register my dogs, the city sends a citation and I must pay a fine. I will use Jocelyn as an example for the vaccination schedule I follow. Jocelyn was vaccinated for Parvovirus at 5 weeks old by her breeder, and then given a combination vaccine (adenovirus, hepatitis, distemper, Parainfluenza, and Parvo) and Coronavirus vaccine at 6 weeks. At 12 weeks I had her vaccinated for rabies, given a combination vaccine, Leptospirosis, Lyme, and Coronavirus. She gets a yearly combination vaccine, Leptospirosis, Coronavirus, and Lyme. She gets her rabies every three years.
[notify]
Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 5:09am PST 
I have a dog who is suffering from a Rabies vaccine reaction. This vaccine was given TWO years ago and he is still suffering! He lost all muscle and nerves in his rear leg as well as getting a systematic reaction which caused high fevers, widespread hair loss and skin changes as well as the leg issues, which will likely never improve. This dog will never receive another rabies vaccine as it will likely kill him.
I have personally been vaccinated against rabies, over ten years ago, and my titers are still high. There is no reason to expect that our dogs should be any different.
Current recommended protocol for the distemper series in an adult is every three years and I DO follow this, with their final vaccine at 6 - 7 years, but sadly, the most serious reactions appear to result from the Rabies vaccine.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3