GO!

Looks like Bunny will be going in for his rabies shots ASAP

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 9:11am PST 
Like some of you, I am ambivalent about vaccines. I have managed to skirt around the local bylaws somewhat. Bunny has had a few rabies shots in his life, but I have tried to limit them. However, there is a confirmed case of feline rabies in a city an hour awayshock as much as I am reluctant to over vaccinate, this is just too close to homecry

Princesse will be going as well, but since she doesn't go out in the winter, I think she can wait a bit longer.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 9:45am PST 
If there is any chance that they could be infected, then it's probably the right decision. Good Luck!
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 10:31am PST 
rabies is the only one my 2 older ones get, and bryce will be dropping the others after 1 more round.I will not swear they would not ever bite. some people do stupid things. and the risk is just to great
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 10:33am PST 
Bunny,
I too do not like to over vaccinate and could probably at times get away with not getting vaccines on a strict schedule but the one I do make sure is always on time is the once every three year rabies vaccine because if you think an hour away is scary imagine at least 3 confirmed cases every summer within a 10 minute drive,less if going through the woods or trails and although I live in the city there are many small wooded areas with skunks,racoons,and fox which are known to travel those distances from me and we had a case of a cat and 7 or 8 kittens that were unknown to have it until after the kittens went to various homes all around the area. I do not like over vaccinating but I too am unwilling to take the risk because it is so close and can be hidden until something goes terribly wrong.wavehugwishes
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 12:49pm PST 
That is very scary! We have occasional reports of rabies in the area, mostly bats. I've never heard of a rabid cat though! Very unsettling!! I'm sure Bunny will be okay with the vaccine and it will certainly give him protection and you peace of mind!
[notify]
Wilbur

Texas Fatso

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 7:09pm PST 
Rabies is a horrible disease. Any dog that is not vaccinated can contract the virus. But, even the vaccine is not guarenteed to prevent rabies 100% of the time. It actually takes 2 weeks after the vaccine for your dog to produce enough antibodies to even be protected at all. Thankfully, this vaccine will prevent rabies most of the time. You can get your dog vaccinated anytime. The frequency of vaccination depends on your local laws. Most dogs need to get the vaccine every two years. However, the first time a puppy is vaccinated, they will need to be re-vaccinated in a year. This will allow the young dog to produce more effective antibodies. The second shot will be valid for around 2 years. Some areas require rabies vaccinations to be given every year. Puppies should get their first rabies vaccine at 9 weeks of age.
[notify]
Uma

Leader of the- Pack

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 9:50pm PST 
I worry so much about vaccine reactions. It scares me. See if your state will offer medication exemptions. I think that dogs with certain health problems shouldn't be required to receive the rabies vaccine. Just be safe! Get a record of your dog's veterinary file after each vaccine. When your dog is due for her next rabies vaccine, ask for an exemption. It's a good idea to research vaccination before you actually commit to any vaccine. Do you know the laws in your state? Do you know if your state offers medical exemptions? I think dogs are vaccinated against rabies way too much. Every 1-3 years is just too much! I think every 5-7 years would be much better. Research has shown that this is how long the vaccine actually last. Some research shows that the vaccine can actually last for the dog's lifetime!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 9:17am PST 
The only problem is even with titers being accepted in some areas,that little tag can be the difference between life and death for a dog that might even accidentally break the skin with a tooth when rabies is in the area. Here for example with a current rabies vaccine,but not with titers proving immunity,your dog will be quarrantined either at home or in a facility decided upon by animal control for 10 days then returned,without proof of vaccine they can be quarrantined only in a facility decided by AC and based on their behavior during that time,held even longer and/or euthanized as a vicious dog,when in fact they are simply frightened by the strange facility and people. The vaccine may in fact last longer than 3 years,my pups however wouldn't survive even a night,let alone a minimum of 10 days without us. They are very well socialized,behave wonderfully in public and WE can take them anywhere. Mika is a rather timid little thing and although will happily do whatever we want,tends to not like strangers near her food. Kai who is bold and happy-go-lucky with me,will not follow a vet tech down the hall unless he knows I am coming,too. Our vet knowing Akitas well would not keep them overnight after their spay and neuter surgeries because they are a breed that does far better at home with their people,even when Mika had to have a second surgery after her spay because of a suture allergy,the vet gave us his home number but would not even attempt to keep her as much as he felt it might benefit her because she was getting too upset. So given the choice I would rather have the option of having my pups at home,rather than kenneled away from me and at risk of reacting badly out of fear and being euthanized.JMHO
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 3:13pm PST 
9 weeks is REALLY young for a rabies vaccine! Yikes! Vets around here will not do it before 16 weeks. They like to vaccinate for rabies between 16 weeks and 6 months when it is required by law. If you vaccinate to soon, the puppy's maternal antibodies fight the vaccine and you risk that your dog is not protected at all. Also, some research is showing that the vaccine may last SEVEN years! Here were are required to do the puppy shot, a booster at one year, and then you can booster it every three years.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 3:28pm PST 
I've never heard 9 weeks recommended for rabies. Usually 4 - 6 months.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3