GO!

Does anyone know what this condition affecting my dog's back legs is called?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Carter

Professional- Fetcher

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 1:46pm PST 
Hey guys. So Carter saw the vet today for his annual check-up and shots. Carter is in excellent health, but the vet asked me if I had noticed Carter limping with his back legs at all, and I said no. Then he told me that Carter has a condition that effects his back legs and he either said it happened before he was born or when he was born. I know it's awful that I'm so unclear on the details, but I've had the flu for days and had no one to take him for his appointment, I had to take him or pay a cancellation fee. I was trying to focus but also trying to not be sick all over the exam room, so yeah...

The vet also said since Carter is a small dog, surgery is not necessary and would likely make him worse, since studies have shown that's what happens in dogs under 30 lbs. that have this condition. He also said it won't cause him to be any more likely to develop arthritis. When I mentioned that Carter often lays with his back legs sort of splayed out, he said that yeah, the 'frog legs' thing can be because of this condition. Sorry, I know this post is kind of rambling and a bit hard to sift through, it's just that I have this terrible brain fog from being sick! So does anyone know what this condition is? I think it started with an 'L' but that's all I remember. I could call the vet's office and ask them, but I feel kind of stupid for not remembering so I thought I'd try here! Thanks in advance for any input.
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 2:34pm PST 
You should call your vet and ask him/her to go over everything with you again.

Hope you feel better soon!
[notify]
Chico

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 2:37pm PST 
Luxating patella?
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 2:37pm PST 
It sounds like Luxating Patellas where the knee cap slips in and out of place. Some dogs are fine with it,it is an occasional thing easily treated with anti-inflammatories and pain meds when there is a flare -up but sometines the only option is surgery,you will just have to wait and see or perhaps someone else can come -up with a different diagnosis. I know that when I was young we had a poodle mix that did require surgery to fix her knees,first one then the other,but we also had a cocker spaniel that would occasionally have the knee cap slip and cause her some problems for a few days after we popped it back in and some meds and a few days of taking it easy maybe a half dozen times over her life-span was all we had to do.hug
[notify]
Wilbur

Texas Fatso

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 10:51pm PST 
Dogs usually limp when they are in pain. If the limp is bad enough, go back to the vet. Do you know for sure which leg it is? It can sometimes be difficult to tell with a slight limp. You will notice that the dog comes down on the unaffected leg heavier than the painful one. You will have to walk your pup around a bit to tell for sure. Also, most dogs will put their head down the same time their unaffected limb hits the ground. The head comes up when the hurt leg hits the ground. Take a look at your dog's leg. Look at the healthy one, too, as you will need a side by side comparision to see what is wrong. Put a little pressure on different parts of the leg and see how your dog reacts. Actually, doing this not only helps you identify where the problem is and how severe, but also helps the dog learn to trust you better!
[notify]
Uma

Leader of the- Pack

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 10:23pm PST 
Don't give aspirin. It's too hard on a dog's stomach. If you think your dog needs pain relief, go to the vet. I think limping is probably the most common reason people visit the vet. Hopefully, it's something simple. It may resolve itself in a week or so. He may get better without a vet. I'm thinking he could have just strained it. Have you checked his paws for thorns? If his limping doesn't get better, go to the vet. I wouldn't wait more than a week. The exam is really simple. Your vet will examine his entire body. There are quite a few common causes of limping. There are also tons of uncommon causes, as well. One of his joints may be causing him pain. You need to figure out which joint it is. Have you noticed any swelling? A dog's pain tolerance varies from individual. He might have overflexed his joint and caused it to become painful.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 12:04am PST 
Actually, it sounds like hip dyplasia rather than LP. LP surgery is done on tiny dogs all the time with quite a bit of success.

Shih Tsus are prone to HD, which is a normally uncommon thing for small dogs to have trouble with.

As for laying frog legged, that's just a normal dog thing. Some do regularly and some don't, but only double tracking dogs can do it. It's actually a very restful position akin to you sitting Indian style or half-lotus. Dogs will lay frog legged when they are relaxed and meditative, in activities like staring off into space, or lovingly at you, chewing on a bone, or on the verge of napping.

Edited by author Mon Dec 3, '12 12:12am PST

[notify]
Jocelyn

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 2:33am PST 
Was an x-ray done to make sure this wasn't a broken bone? It could also be a torn ligament. Possibly nothing more than a muscle strain. I would also suspect arthritis. Arthritis causes lameness in dogs. Only a vet can diagnose what is going on. Are there any external signs of damage? If the limb is dangling, it is probably a fractured bone. Severe fractures can even pierce the skin. You may notice bleeding from these. Was your dog accidently injured in any way? Don't move your dog's affected leg to much. Just restrain it so he can't use it until you know what is going on. You need to check for broken bones. If he is just not bearing all his weight on the leg, it probably isn't a fracture. I recommend splinting the leg. Then, put him on crate rest. If there is still limping after 24 hours of splinting and crate rest, see the vet.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 5:18am PST 
Jocelyn, if you read the OP, he states that his dog was not limping, this was found on a routine exam so I suspect it is extremely unlikely he has a fracture!!!
[notify]
Mogly

Happiness is an- Akita

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 5:46am PST 
Hello! I hope you’re not giving Carter annual vaccines! But, I’m glad to hear he is healthy. As for the legs, it sounds like he might have either hip Dysplasia or Luxating Patellas. Call the vet and ask what the condition is called. I’m sure the vet would be happy to answer any of your questions. I’m leaning towards this probably being hip Dysplasia. Luxating Patellas are often surgically corrected. However, hip Dysplasia does cause arthritis. I’ve heard that does lying in the “frog leg” position often have hip problems. I sure hope you feel better soon! I would probably say that your dog has hip Dysplasia, if I had to guess. If it starts with an L, then it is Luxating Patellas. My mother’s dog has severe Luxating Patellas and he often lies like a frog. So, either hips or patellas.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2