GO!

My dog has lots of Smegma and he keeps licking his groin

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Severus

Mine! Mine!- Mine! Mine!!!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 10:08am PST 
For the past couple days he's had lots of green discharge from his private area. I setup a Vet appointment but won't be able to see him until Monday.

Has anyone had this problem? It seems to be endless supply of it. When I wipe it it just comes back. When he gets excited or wants to play then it starts leaking and he wants to keep licking it. Its like not being able to finish whatever he is doing cause he'll just want to lick it.

I'm trying to get a prescription for Cephelexin just for the time being maybe to help if its some kind of infection.

Any tips to help him before we see the Vet on Monday?

Thanks
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 5:50pm PST 
I wouldn't give him any antibiotics unless the vet says it's ok. Different meds work better for different infections. You could make it worse if it's not the correct one. Do keep your appointment and good luck!
[notify]
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 11:03pm PST 
Before I had my big boy neutered he was like that... Would sit in my car and leave a spot.. eugh.. had him to multiple vets at multiple points who all laughed at me and told me it was just because he was intact. confused
It DID stop after neutering, so maybe that was it, in his case.
[notify]

Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 8:39am PST 
If he is not neutered this can be considered normal possibly. Never a bad idea to get it checked out
[notify]
Wilbur

Texas Fatso

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 7:23pm PST 
Oh, lovely...LOL Smegma is normal in dogs. This is how the penis protects itself. However, if you are seeing pus, that isn't a good sign. Normally, most dogs don't have any discharge that you will notice. Thick discharge is cause for concern. Some dogs get problems down there and some don't. In all honesty, I wouldn't rule out cancer. Likely, it is just that a foreign body got in there and caused irritation. You need to take your dog to the vet. Dogs with allergies can often get smegma. If your dog has allergies, treat those and the smegma should disappear. Still, it is probably a good idea to have the vet check for tumors. But, like I said, it is probably just an infection. Prosatitis can actually cause smegma. As can thrombocytopenia. Is your dog licking himself excessively?
[notify]
Uma

Leader of the- Pack

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 7:58pm PST 
Poor guy! It sounds like a sheath infection. Some smegma is normal in males. Intact males have more than neutered males. Large amounts is cause for concern. Humping objects can cause infection. Have the vet check him out. It sounds like his sheath is very irritated. I'm sure he is very sore. You need to watch him when he urinates. Keep an eye on the area, too. Let him lick himself. He is cleaning himself. Excessive cleaning is a sign that he has an infection. I know it's gross to watch, but just walk out of the room. Give him an overrall check. Smegma is so gross! Some of it is okay. It's even natural. But, the amount you are describing doesn't sound normal. Male dogs that often "show their lipstick" don't usually get infections. It kind of cleans the area. Urine itself will act as a natural antibiotic.
[notify]
Jocelyn

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 2:40am PST 
I can't say that this is my absolute favorite topic. But, penile discharge is natural. But, if your dog is constantly licking himself, he needs to see a vet.
[notify]
Bianca

Wake Me When- There's Food

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 7:09am PST 
You should get a urine sample from your dog. The vet will be able to test this for infection. How does his penis look, other than the smegma? I'm sure the vet will give you some sort of medication for this. After 10 days you should have the urine recheked to make sure the infection has cleared.
[notify]