GO!

Parvo/distemper and ? vaccine combo?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 6:57pm PST 
Although I would love to follow Jean Doddds vaccination protocols, I can not legally do so. Our bylaws state that our dogs need *yearly* parvo , distemper and rabies shots. I have written to our provincial vet association to ask if the 3 year rabies would fit the legal requirements and I am still waiting for an answer. I am also gathering research to bring to city hall regarding the length of time vaccines are effective studies. From what I have read, the parvo and distemper shots are *not* the most likely to cause problems. The only trouble is, it does not seem that you can get those vaccines separately. Which combo shot would be my best bet for a less is more approach until hopefully the laws are changed?
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 10:02pm PST 
There is a holistic vet here in NW Oregon that had to go to D/P combo because vax companies stopped making a Distemper(?) only vax last year.

I hope you get good news about the 3-year vax. There is no difference between 1-year and 3-year except the label.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 4:05am PST 
I received this reply from the provincial VMA. This is their position statement:

"RABIES

To protect animal health and public health, animals should be vaccinated against rabies at an age and frequency recommended by the veterinarian in accordance with the type of vaccine being used, the animal’s tolerance for the vaccine, potential risk of exposure, and in compliance with municipal bylaws.

Adopted September, 2004."

As you may have seen in my other post, there is a confirmed case of feline rabies nearby, so Bunny will be going for that ASAP . However, I will be speaking to my vet about why his 3 year shot needs to be given every 2 yearsconfused As to the parvo/distemper, I still don't see why our city bylaw says that it needs to be done yearly. Mind you, to get their dog licenses, I am pretty sure all they need is the rabies tag from the vetshh
[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 3:35pm PST 
I just checked their records, the vaccine given was distemper/parainfluenza/adenovirus/parvovirus
[notify]
Jocelyn

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 2:15am PST 
Parvovirus is highly contagious. The virus attacks the intestinal tract. It also attacks the white blood cells. Dogs with parvo will become very lethargic. Once again, this is a HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS virus! It is also highly resistant. Unvaccinated dogs can come into contact with the virus during something as simple as a daily walk. This virus must be diagnosed by a veterinarian. It is diagnosed using the ELISA test. Vets use a stool sample to test. Unfortunately, it is not 100% accurate all the time. Puppies are at the greatest risk for parvovirus infection. Wolves, coyotes, and foxes can also contract and spread the virus. Rottweilers are at the greatest risk for infection. Make sure to keep your dog up to date on vaccines! The parvo vaccine is a core vaccine. It is found in a variety of combination vaccines.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 3:41am PST 
Jocelyn, I appreciate what you are sayingsmile I know this firsthand because one of the dogs I have had in my lifetime did contract parvo. Not due to my not vaccinating, due to the fact that he was taken from his mother at 5 weeks old (rescue situation). He survived due to the vet's and my care and did recieve all his puppy shots eventually. My reluctance is right in your information. *Puppies* are most likely to contract parvo. I can't even find info on how likely distemper is in adults. Bunny is 8 and 1/2 years old and has already been vaccinated a few times. I am not against vaccinating , I am against *over* vaccinating. I don't go in for the human flu shot either, although I did go for the H1N1 shot because it was a flu that could affect healthy adults the most. I don't believe there is a one answer fits all for dog or human vaccinessmile
[notify]
Jocelyn

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 4:35am PST 
I’m very sorry to hear that you’ve experienced Parvovirus in a dog. But, being taken from his mother at 5 weeks old opens him up to a range of problems. I’m glad to hear that he received all his vaccines. I understand your concern regarding vaccination. Puppies are the most likely candidates of a Parvovirus infection. I’ve honestly never heard of distemper in an adult dog, but I’m sure there are cases. My dogs get their core vaccines every year, as recommended by my veterinarian. I’ve talked to my vet about over vaccination and he doesn’t seem to be too concerned with it. I still get my flu shot every year, as my doctor recommends this. There is definitely no cut and dry answer regarding vaccinations (or much else for that matter).
[notify]
Bianca

Wake Me When- There's Food

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 5:57am PST 
You can buy parvo vaccines and give it to your dog yourself. It's really easy; just fill the syringe up with the vaccine and give the shot. Make sure to swab the area with rubbing alcohol before injection. It's a good idea to have someone hold your dog while you give the vaccine. You want to give the vaccine under the skin, not in the muscle.
[notify]
Kristen

Rub My Belly!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 6:35am PST 
The best way to protect a dog from get parvo is to vaccinate. I will not take my dog into areas with a lot of other dogs, except for the vet. When we are at the vet I don't let them near any other dogs, as I don't want them catching diseases.
[notify]
Bridget

Just Going With- the Flow

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 6:46am PST 
I think you seriously need to educate yourself on the severity of this disease. Vaccines are the only way to fully prevent parvovirus. Never allow your dog, vaccinated or not, around any other dog that has parvo. I'm constantly cleaning my dog's bowls and I pick up all poop as soon as they go. Vaccinated or not, if you dog is ever exposed to a dog that has parvo, get to the vet immediately!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2