GO!

Frontline Ineffective?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 11:53pm PST 
I should clarify: for fleas. Ticks I don't know because there isn't a tick problem where we are.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:10am PST 
My vet doesn't even sell/carry Frontline in her office anymore, because too many people were complaining that it wasn't working. I guess that in our area it stopped being effective awhile back.
[notify]
Jordan

Our First Affen - Not Our Last

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 1:52am PST 
Fleas/ticks are not life-threatening, so I'm not going to go to extreme measures to prevent them. However, I know that Frontline is ineffective for many dogs. If I paid big bucks to prevent fleas, I would be pretty upset if the medication I purchased didn't work. There is actually a lawsuit pending (I think) regarding Frontline not working. It is a man named Simms and he is suiing the company that makes Frontline. I found this on Thomson Reuters, if anyone is interested in looking it up. I think the company that makes it is called Merial, but I'm not positive. In my experience, Frontline runs tons of commercials talking about how great and effective their product is. I used Frontline once on Lorrie, and she had fleas in about 4 days after applying it. Now, I'm not 100% sure I applied the medication correctly. I'm not going to bellyache over it, as this was almost two years ago and I use Sentry now. Although, I've heard of many, many complaints regarding Frontline and how ineffective it really is, especially in my line of work. Frontline says it is 100% effective, and I think that is a big fat lie! Their commercials about how it kills fleas really makes you want to go out and buy some. Now, it may get rid of some, but not all of the fleas. This makes me think it may not be killing the eggs, but just adult fleas. So, their claim that it stops the lifecycle wouldn't be true. Frontline is just trying to sell their product and are technically lying to consumers. Well, I guess they are expressing opinion in their commercials and on their product, which is not fact. Still, this is lying, to me. While I have limited knowledge about the law, I'm pretty sure this is illegal. Especially when they say their product is 100% effective. Well, they say "complete killing", nothing about 100% effective, but isn't that the same thing? Maybe I applied it to Lorrie wrong, I don't know. In my line of work (vet tech), I would say that it works for about 80% of dogs. They really should say that their product is 80% effective! LOL I'm not sure when they did their studies, but something has changed with the flea population since then. I hope they are better at killing lawsuits than they are fleas! laugh out loud Our clinic still sells Frontline, though. Oddly enough, I haven't heard of it being ineffective on a single cat! But for me and Lorrie, it didn't work.
[notify]

Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 4:12am PST 
Ticks and fleas are disease vectors. Ticks carry more than one potentially life-threatening disease. So, depending where you live, and your dog's activities, I don't think it's unreasonable to do as much as you can to avoid them.thinking

Frontline Plus quit working in my area (northern New England) a while back. I was at a complete loss, but I have been having much better luck with Vectra 3D.
[notify]
Ninja PD- SR-1 MBDCh- FM TF3

Take That!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 10:11am PST 
well, it says on the box that is works against Ticks, so i assume Ticks should die once trying to attatch to my dog after Frontline has been applied. If its not supposed to be for ticks, they need to remove that statement from the front of the box. Something that states that is kills fleas only.

It sounds like several people use Sentry, so I will look into that. thanks for all the great info of your experiences!
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 1:57pm PST 
Frontline Plus is still fine for us here as well.... thankfully.And it DOES work for ticks....

The caution for Border Collies is a very small percentage come from lines affected by Ivermectin.

You can have a test run to determine if Ninja would be. It is NOT all BC's or Aussies(and a small number of other breeds)... and the only way to know is have you vet do the test. Its a simple thing to have done.

Please go read...

Ivermectin toxicity in Collies AND other breeds

Edited by author Fri Nov 30, '12 1:59pm PST

[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 4:52pm PST 
Stopped working for me!
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 6:14pm PST 
Moose's vet told me not to buy it because it was no longer effective.
I was searching for only a flea treatment, not a combo flea/tick.
[notify]
Sully &- Socks Our- Angel

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 7:41pm PST 
We have been using Frontline Plus for years and it has been effective in the mid-Atlantic region where we are. However, our vet advised us to use Advantix II as there were some accounts of Frontline Plus losing its effectiveness. Bought some Advantix II and used in on Sully once and he had a terrible reaction to it. Lethargy and constant rolling on his back as if it were itching or burning him. So, back to Frontline Plus we went. This in only our story, not a testament to Frontline Plus nor a condemnation of Advantix II...just what happened to us.
[notify]
Ninja PD- SR-1 MBDCh- FM TF3

Take That!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 10:10am PST 
Thats why i worry about trying Anvantix, its not worth the risk of a reaction IMO. So other than Advantix and Sentry, what are other alternatives? I guess i can try Comfortis for fleas, but then Id have to try something else for Ticks. For some reason im finding the Ticks to be worse than the fleas over here..Crazy how Frontline is not working for so many.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4