GO!

Frontline Ineffective?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Ninja PD SR1- RATS MBDCh- FM

Take That!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 10:39am PST 
I dont typically like using tick/flea meds on my dogs but if i DONT apply anything they pick up fleas/ticks like you dont believe. it must be the amount of hiking we do, or the area we live, which has close farm land. Anyways, i usually use Frontline, which used to do a good job, but in the last few months i will apply the dosage to them, and just a week or so later they are scratching like crazy, and i find ticks on them!! it drives me crazy because especially since Ninja is still a puppy, i dont want to overload him with chemicals or additional dosages, but i hate seeing him scratch so much or find ticks on him.

Has anyone had these experiences with Frontline, and what did you do? Find an alternative? Which one? How soon after applying a Frontline dosage can you safely apply another? If im finding ticks on them a week after an application, is it safe to assume the Frontline is having NO effect at all?? How frustrating!
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 11:28am PST 
I used to use Frontline Plus and Sentry Natural Defense and wasn't happy with it so, I switched to Advantix II and so far so good.
[notify]
Ninja PD SR1- RATS MBDCh- FM

Take That!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 12:02pm PST 
Ninja's breeder told me not to use Advantix for some reason...cant remember what reason exactly, but i think she said it was because some dogs have really bad reactions to it, though i guess that can happen with any pesticide brand...
[notify]

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 12:08pm PST 
Check out Sentry Natural Defense Spray. I used to use it between Fronltine applications. It worked pretty well to repel ticks if you apply it weekly, but I had to stop using it because the smell of it made my other dog really nauseous.

Edited by author Wed Nov 28, '12 12:13pm PST

[notify]
Mya

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 1:13pm PST 
My experience is that I have had been results with Advantix and have heard that from other pet parents. They both sell well at Petsmart.
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 5:11pm PST 
I do think that Frontline is losing some effectiveness against fleas, as I know of a handful of people who had their pets on Frontline and ended up with fleas - more fleas than could plausibly have just jumped on them in the yard (i.e. they were living and/or breeding on the animals).

With that in mind, I switched Hazel to Advantix II. It was definitely effective, but we stopped using it because it is supposed to be applied in 3 spots down the dog's back (unlike Frontline, which is applied in 1 spot between the shoulders), and Hazel was able to reach/lick the lower spot midway down her back. Other than that, she didn't have any major skin irritation - but I'm not comfortable with her ingesting it. So now we're back to Frontline, because at least it will take care of ticks (and thankfully we never got fleas). But if your dog isn't so hyperflexible, I'd suggest giving Advantix a try.

Frontline will not repel ticks, it will only kill them when they bite. If you find engorged ticks on your Frontline-treated animals, that would be something to worry about.

Edited by author Wed Nov 28, '12 5:13pm PST

[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 7:03pm PST 
I work in a grooming salon and I have had many customers come in with flea-ridden dogs saying that they put Frontline on every month like clockwork. It really doesn't seem to work like it used to. I personally use Advantix II on Noah and have never had flea problems. It does seem to be a bit inconsistent with ticks though. I just have to be careful as to when I put it on him since I have cats in the house.
[notify]
Jordan

I Swear to Make- You Laught

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:46pm PST 
I use Sentry. I tried Advantix and it worked great, but it’s not an affordable option for me. Frontline have been around so long, I believed that fleas are becoming immune to it. I work at a vet and we often get dogs with fleas that are on Frontline.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:57pm PST 
Frontline is still effective in our area, don't know about other areas.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 11:51pm PST 
Frontline was ineffective with ticks on Saya.. frown

Advantix did well on killing them, but after advantix 2 Saya lost some of her over coat so I bathed her and stopped using the stuff.

I dunno what to use don't want Saya to loose her outer coat where it was applied.. :
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4