GO!

SNORING!! Is there a cure?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Alonzo

Toilet Water- Just Tastes- Better

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 9:26pm PST 
Alonzo also snores. He snores like a train! Not just a little bit, but all night long. Yes, ALL NIGHT LONG! ALL FREAKING NIGHT LONG! laugh out loud He sometimes gets so loud that he wakes me up. His snores are very raspy sounding, too. If your dog shares your bed, it is probably a good idea to kick him off, especially if the snoring keeps you up. Sharing the bed with Alonzo has proven to be too hard. I would get his snoring right in my ear! Boy, that is a wake up alarm! But, I guess this really isn't about us humans, is it? This is about your dog's snoring. Snoring means that the airway is blocked. It will affect a dog's sleep pattern. Unfortunately, it also compromises their respiratory system. Breathing is also how dogs regulate their temperatures. Instead of sweating, dogs pant. If they can't bring cool air into their bodies fast enough, they can actually overheat!
[notify]
Wilbur

Texas Fatso

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 9:49pm PST 
This is a very common problem in Bulldogs. They will also gasp for breath during exercise. That is because their breathing is obstructed. Basically, Bulldogs are a deformity in the dog world. Collapsed nostrils are also very common. Surgery can correct this. Stenotic nares can also worsen breathing in Bulldogs. These obstruct the airway. However, most dogs with stenotic nares have breathing problems even when just sitting still. They can be surgically removed, though. A veterinarian can do it fairly easily. However, some dogs have stenotic nares, but they aren't bad enough to require surgery. It all depends on the severity. If you think she may have stenotic nares, but isn't having serious breathing problems, this isn't an emergency. She may suffer from an elongated soft palate. This, too, is all too common in Bulldogs.
[notify]
Uma

Leader of the- Pack

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 11:26pm PST 
It would be smart to get your dog to the vet. Also, sleeping in a round bed can actually help a dog with snoring. Sometimes snoring is caused by allergies. Make sure your girl is getting daily exercise. Don't ever let your dog around smoke.
[notify]

Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 12:19am PST 
also overweight is a cause of snoring, as is acid reflux.

Also, if your dog is not reaching deep sleep, stage 2-3 sleep is where the breathing is slow and regular and everything is relaxed. That takes time to get to. Snoring is a stage 1/REM sleep thing, usually. If there are obstructions, stuffed up noses,reflux, or apnea, the body never gets to the deep stage so you get snoring all night. That may be why you noticed that your dog's snoring dropped off after a while when you moved her off of your pillow. Your dog went into a deeper stage of sleep when it was comfortable.

Bulldogs though, you're pretty much stuck for the ride there.

Dogs do snore quite a bit. Schnauzers too. My dad and my childhood dog Kenzo used to drive my mom right out of the bedroom with the nightly chorus.

My chis don't snore at all, and that's a blessing, but they're pet quality so they don't have the short faces that the breed standard is calling for these days.

Edited by author Mon Dec 3, '12 12:26am PST

[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 9:19am PST 
Soarkles doesnt have the short nose either, but shes also not purebred either. My husband hasnt complained about her snoring in almost a week now. Sparkles has learned over the past week that when I nudge her and tell her "feet" that she needs to go lay down at the bottom of thr bed and she sleeps well there and fairly quiet. Though, sometimes in the middle of the night she sneaks baxk up onto my pillow lol. I know sever people said about watching her weight but its impossible fir her to get into any better shape I think lol. She's about as lean as a bulldog can get. We go for about a mile and a half hike every week day (half the hike is up a big hill lol). Shes usually pretty pooped out after that. I thought about getting her a small round bed to curl up in but she would never sleep in it. We couldnt even get her to sleep on the floor while she was healing from her spay! Thanms everyone fo4 the great ideas. I think we finally have it under control smile
[notify]
Jocelyn

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 2:23am PST 
It's very common for dogs to snore. It is caused by an obstruction of the nasal passages. You need to understand why your dog is snoring before you can try to stop it. Overweight dogs snore because they have excess tissue around their throat. Dogs with allergies snore because of the excess mucus in their nasal passages. Trees are a common allergen for dogs. Short-nosed dog breeds will snore because they have flattened windpipes. Pekingese are the worst when it comes to this! Dogs that live in a home with a smoker will usually snore, too. Never smoke indoors if you have pets! Dogs with colds will snore until their noses are clear. If your pup has allergies, clean her bedding every single day. Only walk her outside when the pollen level is low. Vacuum at least once a week. Make sure to exercise her daily, too.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3