GO!

Albino Deaf & Blind Chihuahua

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 3:59pm PST 
hug thank you for continuing to care for your precious Chi. hug
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 3:38am PST 
All white dogs with blue eyes, pink paw pads, pink noses, and pink eye lids are also known as Lethal Whites. The same goes for horses that are all white with pink noses and blue eyes. Although Lethal white is mostly known and seen in the American paints (horses), dog breeds like aussies, and blue merle great danes also can be seen with it. Instead of being known as Lethal white syndrome (LWS), they are known as double dapples/double merles. Also if a dog has LWS, it is not to be mistaken that this syndrome is lethal to dogs like it is in horses. This often results in the dog having digestive problems, blindness, and deafness. About a year ago I was at a dog event and a great dane rescue had an all white great dane whose eyes were pink. She was blind but not deaf. I've never heard of dogs with the LWS to have short lives. I know with foals who have LWS they are known to not live longer than a day or two. Majority of the time horse owners will have the foal euthanized after its a couple hours old. I've known a few paints with LWS actually live but they are castrated (if they are stallions) as soon as they are old enough and mares are kept on constant watch for when they come in season so they don't have an unexpected breeding. Horses that have LWS can pass the trait on even if the other parent does not carry the gene. As with dogs I know you have to breed two merles together to get a double merle. If both parents are tan piebalds then there is a good chance that gucci is a diluted pie bald and not a double merle or LWS.

I think the only reason why your vet called gucci "albino" is because vets try to use more common terms for owners to understand on what they are talking about. For example if he/she told you that gucci has lethal white syndrome you may have gotten the wrong idea and scared for your puppy and your family sake.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 4:04pm PST 
Glad she found you and good luck with her. Don't get hung up on the terminology, she's just special.
[notify]

Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 5:07pm PST 
I agree with Sabi. Good Luck with her. smile
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 7:29am PST 
Mishka & Luna said:
All white dogs with blue eyes, pink paw pads, pink noses, and pink eye lids are also known as Lethal Whites. The same goes for horses that are all white with pink noses and blue eyes. Although Lethal white is mostly known and seen in the American paints (horses), dog breeds like aussies, and blue merle great danes also can be seen with it. Instead of being known as Lethal white syndrome (LWS), they are known as double dapples/double merles. Also if a dog has LWS, it is not to be mistaken that this syndrome is lethal to dogs like it is in horses. This often results in the dog having digestive problems, blindness, and deafness. About a year ago I was at a dog event and a great dane rescue had an all white great dane whose eyes were pink. She was blind but not deaf. I've never heard of dogs with the LWS to have short lives. I know with foals who have LWS they are known to not live longer than a day or two. Majority of the time horse owners will have the foal euthanized after its a couple hours old. I've known a few paints with LWS actually live but they are castrated (if they are stallions) as soon as they are old enough and mares are kept on constant watch for when they come in season so they don't have an unexpected breeding. Horses that have LWS can pass the trait on even if the other parent does not carry the gene. As with dogs I know you have to breed two merles together to get a double merle. If both parents are tan piebalds then there is a good chance that gucci is a diluted pie bald and not a double merle or LWS.

I think the only reason why your vet called gucci "albino" is because vets try to use more common terms for owners to understand on what they are talking about. For example if he/she told you that gucci has lethal white syndrome you may have gotten the wrong idea and scared for your puppy and your family sake.

---

Unfortunately most of what you posted above is inaccurate.

If you're interested, you can get an accurate run-down of how lethal white in horses is different from homozygous merle here: Lethal Whites

Lethal white horses will die shortly after birth due to a malformation of their digestive tract.

Merle is a gene which seems to inhibit the development of select cells and results in a dilution of an expressed colour. In MM situations it results in dogs that have an unusual amount of white on them because they've been, for all intents and purposes, double diluted. To go along with that, the dog's eyes and inner ears are often under-developed, resulting in dogs with impeded sight and hearing. The similarity in appearance with lethal white foals is obvious, but genetically it is very different. Calling MM dogs lethal whites is a misnomer.

Edited by author Wed Nov 28, '12 7:32am PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:48am PST 
Thanks, Cohen... I had written a response to Mishka's post in another thread, and came here and saw yours.
These same hearing/vision issues can also be present in other breeds without a merle factor. Some examples are pied Frenchies, dalmations, boxers, Great Danes (harlequin), and others. In these cases, it is simply a result of the area affected by the lack of pigment and its effect on the hearing/vision development. I know of pied Frenchies with too much white on one side being deaf in one ear only, BUT, that is their ONLY defect, they do not have general system fatal issues like horses with LWS.
[notify]
Jordan

Our First Affen - Not Our Last

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 2:21am PST 
Next time you want a special needs dog, please look into rescue. Chihuahuas are a dime a dozen nowadays. If your dog has pink eyes, he is an albino. I honestly can't tell you if your dog is albino or not by simply looking at one picture. But, he doesn't appear to be.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 19, '14 5:17pm PST 
It appears I have an albino chihuahua and I'd like to test her...I've heard about a c or p gene being markers...can anyone elaborate on that.
She is tan and white in her fur but her skin..nose...lips...eyelids AND eyes are pink...YES...I said eyes...she is 3 yrs. .. I got her off of kijiji from a family who could no longer care for her...she's already had 1 puppy.
Any help would be appreciated in this confusing subject
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Feb 19, '14 5:58pm PST 
I would start your own thread and ask your question again. This post is very old and it may get over looked. Good Luck!
[notify]
Amber

All the world's- a playground!

Barked: Wed Feb 26, '14 8:25am PST 
bumping up to get ahead of the spam.
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4