GO!

musk in the bed?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Cheyenne- Starr

Car- ride...Yipee!

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 11:44am PST 
Anyone else have a dog that will musk in bed? My "middle child", who happens to be a boy, will often musk in bed while sleeping under the covers. Almost a year ago I changed his food to "grain free", and it has helped a lot. Also, if I can get him to poop before bed, that helps too. Still every once in a while, he still will musk in bed & it smells horrible, not to mention the mess! I have two other female dogs, and do not have any issues like this with them, so any help or ideas would be great! Thank you!
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 12:25pm PST 
Musk in bed? Do you mean he releases his anal glands? If so expressing his anal glands might help a lot.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 10:31pm PST 
Yeah sounds like anal gland issue how old is he and is his poop firm?

Sometimes bouts of loose poop can cause the anal glands to not empty enough.

I never had anal gland issue with dogs before..
[notify]

Cheyenne- Starr

Car- ride...Yipee!

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 5:04pm PST 
He is 4 yrs old, and has been doing this since he was about 6 mo old or so. He has never had "loose stool" or diarrhea, except for a few times when he was sick. His stool is rock solid, has been his whole life. He is the healthiest of the 3 actually & I was actually *warned* by the groomer not to express the anal glands, bc once they start being *manually done* , I'd always have to express them myself? Doesn't sound right to me, but just in case, I've not manually expressed them ever. I previously had 2 Bichon Frises & they scooted on the carpet when their glands needed some help. Our groomer always expressed their glands, with every groom...which was every 6 to 8 weeks.
[notify]
Fritz

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 8:20pm PST 
In my experience, some dogs need help and some don't. I would bet that it isn't that if you manually express glands you will have to do it forever, but that dogs that need help, keep needing help and they are the one's that get manually expressed.

Not all dogs scoot when they have anal gland issues. Auda actually got so impacted that he abscessed and never scooted on his butt.

At any rate, I would say ask the vet about your concerns, not the groomer. If your dogs needs help expressing his glands, your vet can show you how to do them yourself.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 8:43pm PST 
Sassy had anal sac issues for 13.5 years. She scooted and leaked and expressed and licked the area which made her breath and body stink. No abscesses or anything horrible ever happened. I changed her kibble at least once a year, no change. I helped her out and at times she actually backed up to help as it felt much better afterwards. Her poop was just fine unless she had been helping herself to massive amounts of ill gotten food or garbage.

About 6 months after she started eating a home cooked diet to accommodate her kidney disease I realized I hadn't had to express her sacs and she was smelling better. I didn't need to express even after all the times I had needed to previously. In the 3.5 years until she left us I expressed those sacs twice and checked them often. She got annoyed but I couldn't believe she didn't need help anymore.

Her kibbles weren't much different than the home cooked food, mostly chicken and rice. I have looked through the list of ingredients for all the kibbles I could remember giving her and cannot say for sure what it was about all those kibbles for all those years bothered her. You might try switching to a limited ingredient kibble to see if one could help.
[notify]
Fritz

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 10:17am PST 
Sometimes diet changes will help, sometimes not. However, it is noninvasive and is worth trying.

I would still have your vet take a look and express if needed. Abscessed anal glands are horrible, painful, and expensive to have treated. Poor little Auda looked like someone had, "tore him a new one" he had to be on antibiotics and then have surgery to close up the wound.
[notify]
Cheyenne- Starr

Car- ride...Yipee!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 1:29pm PST 
One of the Bichons had a ruptured anal sac & we had to have it removed. It was aweful! Chey has to go to the vet for her heartworm test soon, so I'll ask the vet at that time! Thanks for the help!way to go
[notify]