GO!

HELP!! Dog wont stop scratching/bleeding

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 6:47pm PST 
Please do not use hydrogen peroxide on wounds. It causes tissue damage to healthy skin that surrounds wounds,is very drying to the skin and may cause even more skin breaks and itching. Have you ever had skin scrapings done to determine exactly what is wrong for example the symptoms you describe could be related to mange,allergies,bacterial,fungal,or yeast infections just to name a few causes. I hesitate to mention this suggestion but aside from the skin scrapings while you wait for the proper treatment to work,you might also want to try a systemic steroid injection to give your dog some relief until the proper meds can do their job. I know that steroids can have long term effects but it is not usually an issue if only done once. Our last dog had flea dermatitis and multiple environmental allergies and for us yearly steroid injections combined with antihistamines was her only relief for the multiple environmental allergies,there are so many more options in most cases now but then in her case,that was the only thing that kept her from going bald,having her skin turn black and bloody,and scratching to the point she could not eat or sleep. Please ask your vet about doing the skin scrapings to at least know what the problem is so that it can be treated properly.hugwishes
[notify]
Chico

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 9:44pm PST 
Hmm a 4oz spray bottle of Vetericyn usually goes for around 22 bucks at your local wal-mart.

I would buy it and spray his whole body with it, it's not harmful if he licks it. It's used to treat wounds and hot spots on all kinds of Animals with great results
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 12:22pm PST 
Have you tried a true elimination diet, that is, home-made one novel protein and one or two novel starches for eight weeks? My Dex was on a venison, kidney and potato diet and more recently my sister's dog was on home-made venison sweet potato diet. It should be ingredients your dog has NEVER had before to be effective.

How long has he been on the thyroid medication, and what are his levels at now (in terms of normal, low normal. etc.? His continuing symptoms could be the result of his thyroid still being lower than optimal.

The location of his affected skin suggest it MAY be a contact reaction. Have you done skin testing to different allergens? Since you did allergy shots, it seems likely that you have, but I remember that my dermatologist said only 1/2 of dogs respond positively to allergy shots.
[notify]

Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 4:18pm PST 
I would try a raw diet, no veggies, something with a more unique protein like venison, if you know any hunter friends, you can probably get a bunch of venison scraps for free, also post on craigslist in wanted section. I always get a ton of venison this time of year.

Have you tried zymox shampoo? it's great for skin issues especially fungal/bacterial based

Edited by author Tue Nov 20, '12 4:20pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2