GO!

Tell me what you know about ringworm?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Samoa- SunnyBear- Bell

Happy Boy!

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 6:49am PST 
Samoa has been diagnosed. He got two weeks worth of some medication which helped, but now that it is gone he seems to be getting itchy again. Other instructions are to continue with twice weekly shampoos - tough since he is large, averse and it is starting to get cold outside.

Has anyone else dealt with this? What did you do?
[notify]
Dennis- FDCH-S,- TFIII

I love agility- and flyball!

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 7:18am PST 
Can you see the red areas of ringworm on his skin, or is he just itchy all over? When one of our dogs just had a few small patches of ringworm left, our vet told us we could use Lotrimin cream on them.

Edited by author Wed Nov 14, '12 7:20am PST

[notify]
Samoa- SunnyBear- Bell

Happy Boy!

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 7:22am PST 
He had the red patches, they are gone...his trouble spot is down the middle of his back where he chews the fur off. I saw that Lotrimin helped and was thinking about getting some just to chase the remainder of this away. Worked for you?

The currently affected area could be treated with a little ointment or something. Now it is just a thickened area of skin...no redness.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 4:37pm PST 
I have used the lotrimin and it did work but you'll need to keep it on the spots once a day for about 3 weeks. Also make sure you wash all bedding in lysol or something else that kills fungus then re-wash as you regularly would because the infected bedding can reinfect the dog or dogs that lay on it.It really isn't all that difficult to treat,the trick is not getting anyone else infected with it in the meantime.hugwishes
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 9:52pm PST 
I would wash all bedding in diluted bleach if possible. Bleach and sunlight are the best things to kill ringworm on surfaces, I don't think Lysol will do it...it is very tough to kill.
Can you ask your vet for more of the medication? Why did they only give you two weeks worth? I thought usually they have you use it until you get a clear culture?q

Edited by author Wed Nov 14, '12 9:53pm PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 5:54am PST 
Lysol wether concentrated in the brown bottle or one of the scented ones specifically lists ringworm fungus as one of the things it does in fact kill.
When my stepson first came to live with us he had chronic athlete's foot,we sprayed all of the shoes plus the bath tub after each use with Lysol spray,then rinsed it before the next use,no one became infected with it and ringworm and athletes foot are the same fungus except basically for location.
[notify]
Samoa- SunnyBear- Bell

Happy Boy!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 8:52am PST 
I am not sure why they only gave me two weeks worth. I think they believed that would knock it out. And then the continued shampooing would take care of the rest of it.

And it did pretty much knock it out, but the small remainder seems to be continuing to be a nuisance and shampooing him twice a week is not so easy...He does not cooperate and it is getting cold and getting an 80 lb. dog into my small bathtub is more than a notion. I do manage to get him a really thorough bath at least once a week and do some spot cleaning otherwise. I started with the Lotrimin two days ago and it seems to be relieving the itch. I had thrown out all the old bedding which was getting ratty anyway...and bought new. I put it out in the sun three or four times a week. Will get some Lysol too...

The other dogs have been exposed to it, since they often sleep in a heap, but I am watching them for any signs.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 8:30am PST 
Sounds like you have things well under control. Good luck with the rest of the gang.
[notify]