GO!

Foods not allowed for dogs

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 10:00pm PST 
Hi everyone. Aside from chocolates, what are some other types of foods that are not allowed for dogs? I just want to make sure I'm not feeding my pomeranian and labrador something that might make them sick later.
[notify]
Savannah (In- Memory)

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 7:14am PST 
Here is the link to the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center list:

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/a-poison-safe- home.aspx

Some are OK in small amounts, like garlic, and some are to be avoided at all times, like Xylitol-sweetened products. Be careful with the holidays coming up to not leave things like chocolates or booze unattended. We had a bad incident a few years ago with Savannah and a fig spread left on a coffee table, so I would say anything involving large quantities of dried fruit is a no-no. red face Also fatty holiday table scraps can trigger pancreatitis in dogs, so resist those sad puppy eyes.

Of course if your dog has allergies there may be foods that trigger those that need to be avoided also. Every dog is different so what doesn't work for one may be fine for another.
[notify]
Baron

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 10:55am PST 
Onion and raisins are two that should definitely be avoided and are toxic to dogs so you have to be careful what you give because alot of people food that is premade has onion powder in it. Cheese can cause diarrhea. Health wise... all wheat, corn, soy, flour, and grains should be removed! I work for a vet who is very holistic and all he recommends is a grain free dog food and ONLY fruits and veggies for treats!! ABSOLUTELY no dog treats, chews, ect except for soup bones and deer antlers. Diet plays a HUGE role when it comes to allergies in pets!!!
[notify]

Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 8:41am PST 
Here is a great slideshow:

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ss/slideshow-foods-your-dog -should-never-eat

They list garlic, which is safe in small amounts. Chocolate is very dangerous. Dried fruit is also dangerous. No animal fat, either. Most dogs have allergies to certain foods, so you need to stay away from those. All dogs are different.
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 5:59pm PST 
Put macadamia nuts on that list. I paralyzed Moira's hindquarters by feeding her 4 or 5. Thank goodness, it only lasted about 24 hours, but it could have been worse.
[notify]
Jim

Throw the Dang- Ball!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 5:22am PST 
Garlic, onions, caffeine, alcohol, raisins, grapes, milk, cheese, macadamia nuts, candy, gum, chocolate, fat trimmings, peaches, plums, persimmons, yeast dough, and human medicine are all potentially dangerous to dogs. If your dog eats any one of these things, go to the vet. All other foods are usually safe. Fruits, vegetables, grains, and meat are a healthy part of a dog's diet, as long as they are not one of the ones I listed above. You can feed apples, blueberries, cranberries, and bananas. They contain large amounts of antioxidants. Bananas are also very good for the digestive system. You can even juice the fruit, so it is easier for your dog to digest and use the nutrients. Just do not give the seeds or stems of apples, as they are toxic. You can also give your dog carrots, broccoli, green beans, and most leafy vegetables.
[notify]