GO!

Peter Parker IVDD/Cervical Surgery ?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Peter Parker

Peace, Love &- Dachshunds

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 8:36am PST 
Hi guys, I know it's been a while since I been on here, just alot going on in life I guess. So, Peter had surgery on halloween for a calicified disc in his neck (C2-3). He had an "episode" this past April that cleared up fairly quickly with the whole Prednisone, Tramadol, Sucralfate combo. He had X-Rays done that same day that showed the calcified disc also. He was crated and medicated and fine after a few weeks.
Fast forward to one Sunday morning in October and he just woke up walking very slowly and not moving his neck to look up or down or anywhere. I knew what this was. So, Sunday I kept him crated and gave him a tiny bit of baby aspirin and Monday we were off to the vet. Since his symptoms were the same in April, and we had X-rays to back it up, the vet just prescribed another cocktail in hopes that it would work equally as well. I was also hoping it would work. Well, days passed and nothing, Pred doses tweaked to highest dose, pain meds on board and nothing. He seemed to be better the following Saturday (the one before Halloween), but as soon as we came in from outside he couldn't move his neck, and was walking slowly again....
So, long story short the meds were not working this time around, so I had few options. Surgery, pain meds for life at high doses (since cervical issues can be very painful if not more than back issues at times), or euthanasia, which of course for me is not an option at all.
Peter had the surgery and it went great, all the calcified disc material was removed and he's been recovering and doing great.
My question is for those of you that have had any kind of IVDD/Cervical back surgery, what are the chances of reoccurence? I guess I'm kind of nervous the surgery didn't work or will not work.
And what lifestyle changes were made and did your dog resume normal activity after the 6 weeks strict post- op crate rest?
Pete is fired up and ready to go, but we are not even 2 weeks in with his crate resting.
Any info is appreciatedsmile
[notify]
Natcho

LabraDORK

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 8:38am PST 
Petey! wave Long time no see. We`ve missed ya.
Glad to see you`re okay now, that must have been worrying. hug
[notify]
Peter Parker

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 8:41am PST 
Natcho!!hughug Hey pal!wave So good to see yasmile
Thank you, I have been recovering and getting lots of cookieshappy dance
[notify]

Angel Annie

Love my treats,- oh yeah!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 9:20am PST 
Hi Peter Parker, so glad you seem to be recovering well. Take all the cookies you can get!

xoxo
Annie
[notify]
Peter Parker

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 9:23am PST 
Thank you Anniehug
Sure can't wait for this 6 weeks to go by!smile
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 5:36am PST 
Hey there Peter! I had a herniated disc and surgery too...expensive isn't it? shock

Interesting that your recovery is different than mine. I didn't have the crate rest. It could be because I was almost paralyzed so he wanted me up and about. I wasn't allowed to do stairs, jumping, or running for 6 weeks. My neurologist wanted me up and walking. I know each doctor is different. I can't remember the exact numbers but it's around 85% of your recovery is in the first 6 weeks. Then the rest slowly comes after that up to 3 months.

Soooo, what are the chances this could happen again? My doctor told me there is a chance it could happen. He really wanted to limit any future jumping on furniture and running up and down stairs. Those were the two biggies.

It's been 3 years for me and no reoccurences big grin Since you are a daschund, and IVDD, is more common, taking those two extra precautions in the future (no jumping on or off furniture, running up and down stairs), should really help way to go

Mom tries not to let me do those things...she helps me on and off the sofa when she sees I'm ready to jump up or down and she doesn't let me zoom down the stairs.

Good luck and I'm glad your surgery went well! flowers

Edited by author Tue Nov 13, '12 5:44am PST

[notify]
Peter Parker

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 7:54am PST 
Hi Scooter!wavehug

Expensive indeed!eek Gosh, they kept offering the "Care Credit" option but we paid off our credit card debt long ago and didn't want to go that route so I ended up paying cash. I am not working at the moment either, but, hopefully after the holidays pass I can get back to work. This surgery sure set up back. But, I'm grateful I at least was able to have the surgery because we were out of options otherwise, unless I was to keep him medicated on pain meds for the rest of his life.

85% recovery rate in the first 6 weeks sounds good. Poor guy Scooter, you were almost paralyzed! I am so happy to hear you have not had a reoccurence in 3 years! That is great pal!way to go

We pretty much have stopped all jumping and running and acting crazy, I mean he will still try to run to the kitchen to get a cookie and I have to try to settle him down. We moved recently, thank dog, only a month ago from an upstairs place to a single level home so that was a blessing for us and the timing couldn't have been better. Who knew this was around the corner for us. It's also a bigger here so we have more room.smile

We are almost 2 weeks in with the crate rest. I've seen different recovery methods as you mentioned, you were on a different regimen. I guess it would depend on the type of herniation, where it was, and how bad it was. I know I've read and the surgeon told me somtimes with the cervical/neck issues it takes longer to heal and can sometimes be more painful. Although ANY back/neck issues sound painful to me. I just wanted some feedback on who's been through this and what they did and how they recovered and so forth so I really appreciate your response.hug
It's my first time dealing with this and with my very first dog! Hard to believe Peter's been with me 10 years!! The years go by in a blink!

Tomorrow we go back to the surgeons for the suture removal and his last check up. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they say he is doing well.

Thanks Scooter hug
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 8:48am PST 
I used to live for those check ups....so that the doc could tell me how good I'm doing big grin It was pretty darn scary though.

Good luck at your check up tomorrow Peter! snoopy
[notify]
Peter Parker

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 8:52am PST 
I know, I am a bit nervous but anxious to see what the Doc says.

Thanks so much Scooter!! smilehug
[notify]
Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 11:05am PST 
Good luck to ya Petey.....I really hope everything turns out for ya....way to go

Hugs & Farts
Thor...wave
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2