GO!

Age and Pregnancy

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 3:00am PST 
At what age is it recommended that you no longer breed a dog? My friend that's moving in with me has a 7 year old Pit. I asked if she was spayed and he said "No I want to get 1 more litter from her so I can keep one of her puppies." I know I cannot tell him what to do with his dog, but it just concerns me. Plus the fact that if she gets pregnant while they are living with me, it is going to effect myself as well as my own pets.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 5:42am PST 
I have known a few breeders in my lifetime and most that I have known retire their breeding females at age 5,that is not to say you can't breed them longer but I don't think most would recommend it.JMHO.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 8:28am PST 
5 years is the norm.

Each heat cycle the uterus breaks down a little.. a litter at 7 years of age would have 1 or 2 pups.. And unless they're planning on keeping a pup to further her (what i would hope to be) stellar lines.. then its not worth it and can lose their bitch in the process.
[notify]

Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 3:35pm PST 
Breeding a dog at 7 years is very risky. There are so many risks involved in breeding senior females. Eclampsia (aka milk fever or hypocalcemia) which is low calcium in the blood. Usually happens when the bitches are lactating. Dystocia where the pups get stuck in the birth canal. When older bitches start whelping they can tire easily and if they stop pushing the pups can get stuck in the birth canal. Uterine Inertia which is a common problem in whelping bitches. This is where uterine contractions stop. Early Placental Separation which is exactly how it sounds. The placenta separates before coming out of the mother. Uterine Torsion or Rupture which is an internal injury that happens during whelping. Also a brown discharge can be seen a couple days after the mother has whelped.

He's also risking his dog to get pyometra. If I were you I would explain to him all the complications and risk of breeding a dog that's in her senior years. Plus we don't need any more pitbulls in this world. There are plenty of them in shelters.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 4:12pm PST 
Last year my rescue took in an older basset hound in the very late stages of pregnancy. She delivered 8 babies- 4 were stillborn in various stages of decay, two died shortly after birth, and one died when it was a few weeks old. Seriously not a fun experience for anyone involved.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 6:20pm PST 
I would inform him that at age 7, she's a Senior. Maybe that would make him think twice. thinking
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 11:17pm PST 
I'm still trying to dissuade him from having her breed anymore. For one, the consequences that were listed here. Plus, in doing research for insurance on Angel I've found most insurance companies won't cover anything that has to do with pregnancy or breeding - so if something should happen, he would get no reimbursement. He's insistent that his dog is in good health and that there shouldn't be any problems. SHOULDN'T being the key word.

Another concern I have is if it happens while they are living with me. He would have to find somewhere else to live because my house isn't big by any means. Plus I have never been around a pregnant dog before and don't know how it would effect my own "kids." Possible aggression issues are a big concern...
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 6:16am PST 
How they behave when pregnant is an individual thing. The big problem is the cost of any of the complications listed above. Things like that can go wrong with younger dogs as well and the expense,not to mention the risk is not worth it to most thinking people.
A c-section for dystocia is about $1500. minimum
this also appilies in dystonia.
Pyometra requires meds and generally emergency spay to save mom
and bottle feeding the pups,which is time consuming,expensive and
does not always go well.
The pups have a higher risk of congenital abnormalities that can kill them
or compromise their health,which means a lifetime of higher vet bills and suffering for the pups.
Alot of these complications if not recognized and treated immediately can result in the death of mother and pups and still leave vet bills behind totaling thousands.
For me personally ,and I think I can safely speak for others here as well, it is far better to have whatever happy healthy remaining years with Mom than risk her life for a puppy that is unlikely to be in prime health or as others have said,not survive at all.
Hope some of this helps you convince your room mate to re-think a breeding in a senior dog,one he is supposed to love. Perhaps he can find one of the people he sold a puppy to from a previous litter that happens to be breeding and get a puppy from her bloodline even though it is not one of hers.hugwishes on trying to convince your room mate about how bad this idea really is.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 2:10pm PST 
Occasionally for a very fit bitch who has has previous pregnancies and under exceptional circumstances then yes but normally they have the first litter at 2/3 and then 5. There's definitely an increased risk of complications and c-sections, it's not worth it just to have another puppy what is he going to do with the rest of them?
[notify]
Seth

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 3:40pm PST 
Seven would be pushing it. I think before I tryed to get a litter out of the dog. I would do a complete check up on the dog to see if it is even a good idea
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2