GO!

Can't get her eye ointment in!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 3:58am PST 
They gave me ointment to put in Sparkles eyes after her cherry eye surgery on Monday. They said 8 times a day! The first day wasn't too hard, yesterday wasn't bad but today, I can't get it in at all. I can't pin her down because of her spay and I don't want to accidentally poke her in the eyeball with the nozzle. They didn't say how many days she needs it. She's doing great this morning. Not squinting and not trying to rub her eyes on things. She's short snouted so I can't hold there for leverage and she's a 45lb wiggly butt. Any advice?
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 4:17am PST 
Do you have anyone to help you? I used to have my daughter give Jax a belly rub while I put her meds in her eye. It worked great. smile
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 4:33am PST 
It's just me most of the day. My husband can help before and after work but that 9 hours he's not here, she still needs them 4 times. Dreamy and Rocky aren't willing to help lol.
[notify]

Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 8:44am PST 
well ear drops are different, but I usually have my dog in the corner of a room...some corner so that I can use the corner for leverage. Have you tried that? I wonder if it's best to have her laying down though? If so, you could try to straddle her gently without actually putting your weight on her?
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 9:53am PST 
I've tried the corner technique. I swear she's part owl lol. Her head can move halfway around in any angle lol. I'm afraid to try the straddle thing. She might panic and hurt herself to get away. I did manage to get the ointment in twice today so far. Sheer luck and quick moving I guesshappy dance
[notify]
The- Troublesome- 2 Kc &- Cooper

You must pet me- before you pet- the other

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 11:13am PST 
When I need to give Cooper his anti-inflammitory spray, you don't need to pin them down. I hold him fast in between my calves and I do the same to Kc. It couldn't hury the spay sight and it holds 'em pretty still.shrug Works for me, at least.
[notify]

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 11:22am PST 
When Jax had her eye meds, I'm pretty sure it was only 3 or 4 x a day. It was a long time ago. There is no way I could have given them 8x, because I work. confused
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 2:24pm PST 
Jax- all other references I've found say ointment 2-4 times a day so I don't feel too bad if I can't get them in every time. I think 8 times a day is overkill but that's what they said. How many days did Jax need them? They didn't specify how long to me but at this rate she'll be out in another day or two.
[notify]

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 4:56pm PST 
I think it was 7 -10 days. I really can't remember for sure.
[notify]