GO!

How long can a dog hold urine?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Koto-ri

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 1:42pm PST 
My rescue pup just turned a year old. I've had her since March. She's had very few accidents but every now and then she will not urinate on our walks - even, sometimes, the first walk of the day - and this is getting more common. Today it's been 13 hours since she has urinated - I've had her out four times! I'm a nurse (for humans) and her urine smells normal and looks normal (as of yesterday) with no sign of blood, temp is fine, and she's as playful as ever. I have never had a dog like this! I have her scheduled for the vet but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a dog who just "holds it"?
[notify]
Natcho

LabraDORK

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 2:23pm PST 
Natcho has held it for awhile, does your pup drink enough water? I know Natcho won't go out to pee if it's raining and just holds it until the next morning...or if we make her go out in the rain.
[notify]
Koto-ri

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 2:41pm PST 
She seems to drink normally - I haven't measured her intake strictly, though. Thanks for the response!
[notify]

Koto-ri

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 2:42pm PST 
She seems to drink normally - I haven't measured her intake strictly, though. Thanks for the response!
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 2:54pm PST 
There are a few of us on here who have dogs that will hold it for roughly 24 hours under certain conditions (international air travel). It isn't something I'd ask Scooter to do daily. If he didn't go first thing in the morning, I'd be concerned.
[notify]
Koto-ri

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 3:13pm PST 
That's amazing to me - I just never had a dog who'd hold it like that. I still plan to check her out of course. Thanks for your input.
[notify]
Koto-ri

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 3:14pm PST 
That's amazing to me - I just never had a dog who'd hold it like that. I still plan to check her out of course. Thanks for your input.
[notify]
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 3:59pm PST 
Koby holds it if he's distracted. If I bring him in and take him right back out and he usually goes. I've taught him a pee command which sometimes works. Good Luck!
[notify]
Koto-ri

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 8:21pm PST 
Thanks everyone! And forgive the double posting, I can't seem to stop it or delete the darn things.
[notify]
Koto-ri

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 8:21pm PST 
Thanks everyone! And forgive the double posting, I can't seem to stop it or delete the darn things.
[notify]