GO!

Extreme itchiness

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Fancy

Zzzz

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 12:56pm PST 
My dachshund, Fancy, has for a year or so now { on and off } a itchy crusty area just around her tail. I assumed it was just allergies, since it always came at the time it's considered worst.

But, just today when I came home from school, I scratched her back just below her shoulders, and there's a rather large slightly raised red rash like thing.
It's extremely itchy since even just me touching it causes her to thump her foot.

Any suggestions as of what it could be?
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 4:19am PST 
Have you tried changing the food? Sometimes they are allergic to something in it. Try a food with less/no grain and less filler. The least amount of ingredients the better.
[notify]
Fancy

Zzzz

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 2:00pm PST 
Hmm, no I haven't thought of that. I'll propose the idea to my mother. Well, I'll check her food first. We have changed her food multiple times in the past few years.
[notify]

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 4:27pm PST 
Do you use spot on flea and tick drops? If so, is the itchy scaly spot where the drops are usually applied?
[notify]
Fancy

Zzzz

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 5:57am PST 
You know what Lily, I think they are...That's very strange. I think we've been using the same flea medicine..But maybe not.
[notify]
Baron

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 11:16am PST 
What food are you feeding and what treats does she get? any table scraps? people food? also, what flea medicine are you using?
[notify]
Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 8:34am PST 
You might want to change foods. A lot of dogs have food allergies. Maybe try a food that isn’t so grain heavy. A limited ingredient diet would be worth a try.
[notify]
Jim

Throw the Dang- Ball!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 1:33pm PST 
Try giving her a cool bath. Use an oatmeal shampoo made for dogs. It sounds like she might be developing a hot spot, too. It would be a good idea to shave the area. Then, head to the vet and get some medicine from them.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 5:30am PST 
Bunny... you say, "1 out of 2 dogs has a reaction to pesticide-based flea/tick products, where only 3 out of 50 dogs will have a reaction to natural flea/tick products. What sounds safer? To me, I'd rather use something that only 6% of dogs reacted to, as opposed to 50%!"
How about listing the sources where these numbers come from??? It's very easy to use scare tactics on a social web site but without any sources, you are not terribly believable.
Don't forget the thousands of dogs who DIE from issues CAUSED by fleas, including anemia, infection, disease (which can and DOES also affect the humans in the home!)
Even your "natural" products ARE pesticides and ARE poisons and can and will cause serious side effects!
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 8:48pm PST 
You should probably consider changing his food, as well as his flea and tick drops. And while you're at it, you might also want to take him to the vet for further check up of his skin.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2