GO!

limping puppy :(

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kobe

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 5:49am PST 
kobe's almost a year old now and he's had his share of bumps and bruises, but this time he seems to have done something worth getting looked at. i first noticed he was limping a bit over the weekend and by sunday, a limp was definitely there. now, he's had limps before, but they normally are slight and don't last for long. it's wed now and he still has a definite limp on his front left leg.

i've poked, prodded, looked at, and gently pulled his leg in every direction i can think of and he doesn't react other than simply wanting me to let him go. i know that doesn't necessarily mean much, some dogs don't show pain...his paw pads look fine, so do his claws, no swelling i can see...etc.

he's basically on bed rest right now. i've restricted him to either his crate or just my bedroom. no dog park. no walks, except for the short one i took him on yesterday just to get him out and moving.

question is: how long do i wait before i bring him to the vet?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 5:54am PST 
Given that the limp has gotten progressively worse,and rest has not helped much I would take him in now if he were mine. JMHO.hugwishes
[notify]
Kobe

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 6:03am PST 
well. i wouldn't say it's gotten worse. i did take him to the dog park on sunday because at that time, it was slight and like i said, he's had slight limps before. by sunday night, it was definitely there though. the limp itself hasn't really gotten worse since then.
[notify]

Rocky

SQUIRREL!!

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 6:37am PST 
Maybe he just sprained it. Years ago, our cat Smokey fell out a window (3rd floor!) and had a limp. No swelling or obvious pain. We took him to the vet obviously because it was such a major fall and it was only a sprain. He was back to normal within I'd say about 2 weeks. We limited his activities too (of course he was a cat, a little easier to do lol). Good luck. If you choose not to take him in, just restrict him for a week or two to keep him from hurting it worse. Or even just call your vet for their opinion. A call is always free smile
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 7:12am PST 
Agreed Rocky.way to go A call to the vet is free and can be helpful when in doubt.

I'm sorry I got the wrong idea from your original post.red face My bad.
If keeping him a bit more quiet is working,or seems to be you can wait it out a bit but a call to the vet would be wise, I tend to err on the side of caution with my pups because they tend never to show pain even when I know something hurts. For example,I once cut one of Kai's nails too short I know it must have hurt and was bleeding alot,he never even moved his paw,he just left it in my hand and would have let me continue to cut the rest without complaint. I was much more concerned about getting the bleeding to stop which he endured without a whimper or other protest. I can imagine him just as easily having a fracture of a bone and not reacting,so wer he to begin limping my first inclination would be to take him in for x-rays to make sure that any injury is properly treated. As I said,I tend to be a bit overly cautious knowing my dogs personalities.
[notify]
Kobe

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 7:45pm PST 
the limp is still there frown i have a vet appt tomorrow afternoon. i don't think it's serious, but i want to get it checked out. i just worry because he's got corgi type legs and joints. i know he's going to have problems with arthritis in the future and i would like to do everything i can to prevent or lessen that later on for him. we'll see what they say.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 6:24am PST 
Good Luck at the vets office. Please let us know what he/she has to say about the limp. We love updates on our sick or injured pals.hughugwishes
[notify]
Kobe

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 12:47pm PST 
the vet didn't see or feel much. there might be a little more fluid around his left elbow than his right elbow, which might mean a bit of inflammation. we aren't doing x rays yet bc we don't really have much to go on. we're going to try an anti inflammatory for a couple days. if that doesn't do much, than he might have a joint disorder or something and we'll try some x rays....we'll see what happens i guess.
[notify]
Kobe

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 6:02pm PST 
after being on an anti inflammatory for a couple days now, i think kobe's limp is getting better although i'm not sure it's an injury instead of something else. i took him for a walk today out at a friend's farm and i noticed that although he was mostly fine for most of the walk, there was a couple minutes where the limp was back. is it typical for a limp to come and go a bit? does that mean it might be something related to his growth plates?
[notify]