GO!

Doggy teeth brushing?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 8:05pm PST 
O.K so to be honest with everybody....Ive had my Husky for a few months and have not brushed her teeth once red face Actually....any dog ive ever owned i have never brushed their teeth. (not proud, but being honest) Anyways, her breath STINKS!! eek OMG It's bad, I am going to ask my vet about it but is there anything I can do about it? I do give her dentabones and what not, but it doesn't help. Ive had people tell me they have perfectly mouth healthy dogs and their teeth have never been brushed. So to brush or not to brush I guess is the question? Also any recommendations on what to do about her breath? And are their any substitutes to brushing their teeth or do I just get the job done and brush?? Please Help!!! shrug
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 8:16pm PST 
what do the actual teeth look like, is theres a lot of plaque build up? there are several things you can do.
Best and probably easiest method is to feed raw meaty bones, I give mine raw turkey necks almost every day or raw meals with some bone in it, his teeth are pretty clean aside from some staining on canines due to age, but otherwise they are pretty clean.

In addition, I use tropiclean dental gel couple times a week since it helps with ad breath. They also get antlers and bully sticks on pretty regular basis.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 8:28pm PST 
Her teeth look not to bad... like you said though, some stains on her canines but other then her horrible breath her mouth looks fine...
[notify]

Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 4:07am PST 
Is she a chewer? If she is, then just keep giving her things to chew on, like antlers and nylabones. That keeps their teeth healthy.
[notify]
Mrs. Trudy

No Snoop Left- Behind

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 5:16am PST 
YOu may want to have a vet look at her teeth. It's possible she is having problems that you can't see. my breath was pretty darn bad until I had a teeth cleaning and it improved quite a bit. Mom now brushes couple of times a week and as long as she's consistent, it helps with my breath way to go
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 5:46am PST 
She is not a big chewer actually.....strange for a husky but she's not into that for some reason thinking But I will try getting her some stuff again and see if she will. Thank you all for your input...thank god for dogster! LOL
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 5:47am PST 
also i think I will try to have the vet check out her teeth, just to make sure there is no decay anywhere i cant see. Thank you
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 8:48am PST 
For us, raw meaty bones are the ONLY thing that adequately keep my dogs' teeth even remotely clean. Some dogs are blessed with really good dental genetics and have gleaming teeth without any dental care -- those are not my dogs, unfortunately.

That said, if the breath is really bad AND the teeth aren't too too awful looking, there could be an infection under the gumline or somewhere you can't see. My dog Guster's chopppers looked awesome but his breath was very off and foul -- turned out he had an infection under the gumline and he needed it professionally cleaned at the vet.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 10:08am PST 
Just like in people, there's a big genetic factor that comes into play, so some dogs can get away with little to no dental care and others can't. A vet check is definitely a good idea, but as far as getting teeth clean and keeping them clean, I completely agree with feeding raw meaty bones. Look for pork ribs, pork feet, turkey necks, ect. Bones that are edible with some meat on them will probably work better for her since she's not a big chewer, and you don't run the risk of chipping teeth like you would with dense marrow bones like cow knuckles. Giving a raw meaty bone as infrequently as once a week can show improvement in many dogs.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 12:10pm PST 
wow good tips guys thank you very much. I will try the raw meaty bones as well as get her a check up and a good cleaning. Thank you all
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3