GO!

am i allergic to Louie's kisses????

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

together us- 2

let your love- show!

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 5:35pm PST 
i am known for my shiny coat, it is so slippery and silky; everyone always oohs and ahhs when i squiggle in their arms!
but for the last two months i have been going bald!
it all began with little bite type bumps (not that i think they are bites/that's just what they look like, little pimples) on my neck and chest. then it spread to the tips of my ears which were awful, so raggety, they were bleeding!!
that's when mommy started to suspect that Louie, (my brofur), was licking and chewing on my ears!!!
i am often covered with his spittle!
when this started, we thought it was poison ivy or scratches from my racing through the forest, running through brush and leaping over and through thickets (my favorite)...or that perhaps, i had rolled in a wild critter's smell that was burning me?
i took two baths (i usually only take one bath a year heh heh) and cleaned my leather harness in case it was somehow causing this. the first shampoo was a hand me down from an angel pal of ours, a tibetian spaniel..it said for 'cuddley soft fur' so then we wondered if that might have caused a reaction, since i have smooth fur and not much of it..my coat is like shoe polish really.
but the second bath, while very welcome and did stop the scratching frenzy, has not stopped the spreading problem.
i even wore a collar on walks instead of my harness, but it doesn't seem to help. (i don't wear anything at home).
we are wondering...could it be Louie's kisses that is causing this?
he loves to lick the inside of my ears and my neck..that is where the baldness is the worst!
i have been getting a wipe down with a warm washcloth every morning and it seems to be helping?
if this is a skin problem, how can Louie still have a gleaming, perfect coat? wouldn't he have 'caught' it, were it contagious?

is it possible to be allergic to kisses?
shrug
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 6:19pm PST 
What kind of food are you feeding him? It could be a food allergy. He's probably not allergic to the other dog licking him.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 7:29pm PST 
Have you been to the vet? Fleas can cause one to loose fur as well as fungal and other type of infections. I Have never heard of a dog being allergic to another licking him. Food can cause skin problems, especially if you are feeding a corn based food from the grocery store.
[notify]

together us- 2

let your love- show!

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 7:25am PST 
i haven't changed my diet..it's wellness core with toppings.
my appetite and activity level is still through the roof with exuberance.
dachsie's don't get skin problems very often from what i have observed..i have never had one before..
no fleas here, though we did get a few ticks recently..they are all jumping onboard before winter hits i guess..but we removed them within a day. (even mommy was bitten) as soon as we found them. given my shoe polish coat, they have no where to hide on me.
saliva contains digestive juices that break down food doesn't it?
Louie is licking my ears and neck which is where the 'rash' and baldness is taking place..seems like a connection to us!
i will have to visit the vet for a skin scraping i guess if we can't solve this! confusedcry
thanks for the suggestions thus far..
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 3:54pm PST 
The licking might be triggered by whatever is causing the skin problems. I do think saliva helps break down food, but dogs lick themselves and each other all of the time with no adverse reactions. Still anything is possible.
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 4:00am PST 
Did you change anything lately? My mom had this problem a couple months ago with her golden retriever Jake. She ended up narrowing it down to a new brand of shampoo she used on him. What she did was bath him really good with the good shampoo again then twice a day, she washed the rough, sore spots with an antiseptic rinse and then coated the spots with neosporin. It took about two weeks I think but the spots went away and the hair grew back. She never used that shampoo again.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 6:32am PST 
I think a visit to the vet for skin scrapings would be a very good idea. It sounds like it could be a staph infection like impetaigo(sp) that happens with human babies when they drool alot,it causes small skin breaks that become infected with the staph germs that are common to everyone's skin. I think it would be best to find out what exactly the problem is,then it can be treated properly and possibly prevented from happening again.wishes
[notify]
together us- 2

let your love- show!

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 11:40am PST 
Sparkles, thanks..that's why i was wondering about that shampoo we used..it was for a long haired dog. she went to rainbow bridge, so her mom passed it on to us and was labelled 'cuddly'. it looks like a fancy boutique brand, maybe it has a 'detangler' in it that didn't agree with my skin.
i don't have any sores, no hot spots, nothing 'open' at all..just balding patches and there were some 'pimply' bumps that popped up after our last run in the woods, but they have gone.
the worst is behind my ears because i scratched there with my hind legs. that was reddish, but now it is just 'white' the color of my bald skin. (i'll take a pic and post it later).
we did rewash all our bedding just in case it was the detergent we used last week's washing, (happened to have bought a new 'oxy type' brand) so we used a 'green' brand, no perfumes etc.
i don't have anything unusual about my skin at all now, it is not red or cracked or the little bumps. just bald.. :'(
Mika and Kai, you make an excellent point about the staph. in fact, mommy had what looked like staph on her hand from scratching a burn that was healing! it itched like crazy and she couldn't help scratching it; (between two fingers from trying to push in the hot grill shelf in the oven which jumped and jammed). i wonder if she could have given it to me or vice versa?
i was told by another dogster that they do not treat staph.
mommy put neosporin on her burn, (it had actually healed but then got itchy bumps) and it went away.
so many variables..
i am being 'monitored' for no scratching and Louie is being taught not to groom me anymore; i think i could be healing but it will take some time for hair to grow back. at least we do not see the baldness spreading further. i am full of pep and vinegar as always and eating like a pig.
dachshunds are actually prone to alopecia, but i don't think that is my problem because i don't think that is associated with this itchiness. but it worries me because we don't grow back fur as well as other dogs..i've noticed if i have a bug bite or nick, it leaves a little bald spot forever.
i have upped my weekly dose of sardine toppers and the rest of my coat is gleaming. the section on the top of my back is growing thicker for winter, it has a different texture than my summer coat.
we are definitely monitoring the situation, we'll know in a couple of days if i am improving; if not, we will see the vet.
thanks for all the imput! you guys are great! flowers
[notify]
together us- 2

let your love- show!

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 2:45am PST 
i took some pictures and was glad i did because when i compare them to the pictures we took a couple of weeks ago, i can see that i am healing up.
it's funny that my 'baldness' does not show up in photos much at all..it looks worse to mom in person.
we didn't edit these photos for color or sharpness because we wanted to try to capture the 'real life' situation.
maybe someone will have some ideas of why i started scratching?
my ears 2? weeks ago
my ears now
my chest now
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 6:26am PST 
Before she had us Mommy had a pup with severe allergies that led to staph infections and our vet always treated them with Keflex and even gave Mom extra to have on hand if she had a flare-up while waiting for a vet visit.
Glad you are healing and hope you continue to do so. Mommy's grandson also got it when he was teething and drooled alot,his was treated with a skin protecting ointment and antibiotics. Hoping neither is necessary in your case but if the itchies and bumps continue it is certainly worth checking out.hugwishes
[notify]