GO!

Itchy skin remedies?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Tyson

Where's the- ball!?

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 12:49am PST 
Tyson has had food allergies since we got him. We've tried a lot of things, but still haven't found the right remedy. We feed only grain free plus olive oil for each feeding. I've recently been reading about apple cider vinegar. We use sensitive medicated shampoo when he is bathed and only natural flea treatment.
Does anyone know of any other natural at home remedies for his itching? It turns into a tick and I feel bad for him and want him to feel better. Please help! smile
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 6:11am PST 
Have you tried benedryl spray or one of the anti-itch sprays like gold bond or Sulfadene(sp.) from Hartz made for hot spots but does help even allergic itchies? We had them here as staples when we had a very allergic dog.Our last dog before Mika & Kai suffered not only flea dermatitis but environmental allergies as well and had it not been for our vet telling us about these things our poor pup would have simply scratched and chewed herself to death because at times her itching was so intense that she would refuse to eat or drink,barely slept and spent alot of time scratching. We were absolutely vigilant about fleas in her environment,got her the best food available in our area at the time,gave her antihistamines when necessary,she got twice yearly steroid injections from the vet because they were the only option to keep her from looking like she had advanced demodectic mange,antibiotics to treat secondary infections from scratching and had to have advantage year round. There are many more options now for most pups but then there wasn't much choice. We were just very thankful that the anti-itch and numbing sprays were out there when we needed them,even the ones like Solarcaine and Dermoplast had the value of moisturizing and protecting as well as numbing the itch,Dermoplast had the added benefit of being anti-bacterial and safe on even very delicate tissues,I was given it after the birth of my daughter to take care of my incision to widen the birth canal. Hope you can find one that helps.wishes and hug to you from someone who has had to watch a beloved pet suffer from allergy related itching.
[notify]
Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 12:15pm PST 
We're dealing with this with Terra right now. She's so itchy that she's literally itched herself bloody. She's also loosing hair, and has to live in booties.

What we've been doing that seems to work is Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar on her food morning and night. She also gets Evening Primrose Oil morning and night, and lastly, our vet has prescribed Doxepin for her. She's on 100mg three times daily, and she also get's bathed a minimum of 2x per week (with an apple cider vinegar rinse at the end), and after each bath she's lotioned up with rehydrating anti-itch lotion we get from the vet.

This regimen has helped tremendously! Her hair is growing back, the yeasty smell is getting better (she did have to go on medication for the full body/skin yeast infection). As long as we're good about the timing of her pills and keep her on a schedule, she seems to do great. Her hair is growing back... even in places where we thought he follicles had been permanently damaged.
[notify]

Tiara

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 3:33pm PST 
We just went with the grain free food ,and it has worked wonders for our skin in less then three weeks. I sure hope you find something soon. I know my little girl was. In bad shape before we found something to work
[notify]

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 7:27am PST 
Are you sure it's just food? The vet told us the same thing. We did the trial and error thing with food for 18 months. It got a little better but he kept having bad flare ups with hair loss and he'd dig himself raw. We finally figured out he had mites too. We used Mite Avenge which cleared him up. Then we found that using Natural Balance worked best for the food sensitivity problems.
[notify]
Tyson

Where's the- ball!?

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 12:09am PST 
Thank you so much for your replies. Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you guys. We're giving the apple cider vinegar thing a shot and I never thought about the anti-itch sprays. We're going to give that a shot too! One concern I am having is that his itching has seemed to worsen since we lost our other dog. I'm considering getting him another buddy. When our neighbors dog is over Tyson is a happy camper...
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 4:52am PST 
Only get him a full time playmate if you are sure you are ready for it.I'm sure having a friend to play with keeps Tyson busy and that is why he seems okay,he is simply distracted from the itching by having something fun to do.
The anti-itch sprays really helped us alot with our severely allergic girl so Good Luck and I hope you are able to find an answer.hugwishes
[notify]