GO!

Question about insurance

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 8:48pm PST 
Angel has been to the vet once to see about her leg. Is that considered a pre-existing condition? If so, is there any help for us insurance-wise (or otherwise?) I regret not getting insurance before that first vet visit...but surely there is some resource I could check out to help pay for the X-Rays that I assume will be expensive?
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 5:58am PST 
What is wrong with her leg? You are right that anything pre-existing isn't covered. Also, a lot of hereditary conditions like hip dysplasia or luxating patella aren't covered either even if it hasn't been discovered yet. It is considered pre-existing since it's hereditary.

As for finding help with the xrays, I don't know too much but have heard that there is care credit. It's a high interest credit card, but if you pay it off pretty quickly, it can be worth it

All three of my dogs and my cat have insurance. To me, it's worth it. and remember if your dog is young, there's lots of stuff that can come up later so one pre-existing thing with the leg doesn't mean other stuff won't happen either.
[notify]
Mackenzie- CGC TDI DSA

Why sit when you- can lie down?

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 3:53pm PST 
You could also look into Pet Assure? It's a veterinary discount program that gives you 25% off of just about everything at participating vets. I have it, but haven't used it yet so can't give much of an opinion.
[notify]

Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 4:04am PST 
Depending on the insurance, it will cover hip dysplasia and other genetic issues. However, you have to get it before there is any diagnosis. There is a waiting period and they even want to know if you have seen your dog limping.

I have hip and knee coverage. I got it when I was 7 weeks old. Many policies will only cover hips if purchased as a puppy, but some will cover all conditions no matter when you buy. It is just a matter of reading the policies and choosing what you need.

Anyway, your leg would be preexisting. Carecredit is a good option as long as you pay it off before the interest kicks in.

Good Luck
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 5:02am PST 
you have to keep in mind that just because something is not diagnosed, does not mean it wasn't pre-exisitng.

The bottom line is do your research...most companies do a really good job of teling you what is not covered. Also, ask questions. I did a lot of research a few years ago and one thing I'll say is each company can be a little different. Good luck to you! way to go

Edited by author Fri Nov 2, '12 5:03am PST

[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 3:47pm PST 
I work in human health insurance. Pre-existing is generally defined as a condition that existed prior to the coverage effective date for which there has been a diagnosis, treatment or symptoms were evident. It's that last bit that is the catch...just because you didn't go to the vet and get a dx, if you report that symptoms existed before coverage took effect, it's still pre-existing.

With your guy, unfortunately, it is clearly pre-existing. Have you checked into Care Credit? It's financing for non-covered healthcare expenses, including vet services. Also, if you need meds, Walgreen's has a GREAT drug discount program that pets are eligible for. You pay $30/year, but I generally see about a 60% savings on the cost of meds.

I did a ton of research before taking out Duke's policy. He is insured through PetPlan and I HIGHLY recommend them. They cover genetic conditions, alternative treatments (including acupuncture, chiro, Chinese herbs, water therapy) and I have never, EVER had hassle with a claim being paid. They guarantee coverage for life--your pet will never be dropped due to high claim costs. Each year the premium is age-adjusted, but never adjusted based on your individual claim experience. There are lots of plan options available to fit different budgets.

They do not cover routine care, but I'm OK with this. That's an expense I expect with pets. I want insurance for the big stuff...like when Duke got a MRSA infection in his stifle last year that nearly killed him. After 10 days in a University vet school hospital and $12,000 later, they covered everything. Enough said.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 3:04am PST 
Thank you everyone. I did decide to go ahead with the insurance though I haven't decided what company. I've spoken to a representative of Healthy Paws and was told they would have to go over Angel's vet records to decide if it would be considered a pre-existing condition. I've read that some companies have a 12-month waiting period before hip dysplasia coverage kicks in, but I am going to continue my research. I don't mind if they don't cover regular vet exams and vaccinations, either. I seriously wish I'd thought of this sooner...then I could go ahead and get the x-rays Angel needs.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 3:15am PST 
Scooter...for some reason her right front leg is turned in to an extent, her elbow juts out when she walks, and she stands on her toes instead of her paw. Sorry I just realized I didn't answer your question.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 7:27am PST 
Here's a great site to help too: wwww.petinsurancereview.com way to go

No worries...it sounds hereditary? But if you visit the website I sent you, it has all the pet insurance companies and their ratings. If you do the research, you will hopefully find one that meets your needs. Good luck to ya! way to go

Edited by author Mon Nov 5, '12 7:28am PST

[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 2:11am PST 
Scooter I did check that website as well as another one that was suggested but now I can't remember what it was called lol. I did a lot of research have decided to go with Healthy Paws for the time. 30 day money back guarantee so once they review her vet records, if there's something on there that won't be covered they will let me know. I spoke to both of Angel's vets and the one she went to for her leg stated that on the vet records it's recorded as she came in to see about a problem with her paw, not her leg. So we will just have to see if it's considered pre-existing since it's actually a problem with her whole leg. Even so, I am planning to keep Angel insured just in case ANYTHING pops up. Not knowing her parents medical history worries me, and from what I was told she was the runt of the litter.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2