GO!

Another post about neuters (long! Sorry)

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3  
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 3:15am PST 
I'm glad to know my dog isn't the only one chattering his jaws and licking pee spots! A dog in heat peed on my lawn and he has been hovering over it every day for weeks, lol! It's such a gross behaviour, I didn't realize it was so common.

Mine started like Nix being funny with rude dogs but these days he can be a little firestarter himself, he used to be A LOT more social but as he's gotten more mature, not so much ...

Whether thats his balls or his personality though, who can say? It's a tricky thing. I personally have decided not to neuter unless some health problem pops up though, and just skip the dog park ...
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 6:27am PST 
Over Summer, my neighbors JRT bitch went into heat and that is the first time i've noticed Ty displaying "frustrated" signs. Weird really because she's been in heat before and he's even been around an in heat GSD out on our walks. But, this time it just got him really wound up. He was attempting to air hump Missy who was having to tell him off alot. He even attempted to hump me when i was sitting on the floor one day which is unheard of for Ty! He was also off his food and whining pretty much non stop. But, aside from that time he's never shown any signs of being frustrated. Like i said he's been around an in heat bitch out on our walks and has never attempted to follow her ( both were off lead at the time! ) or acted crazy about getting to her.

That's a real shame you've come across so many unfriendly neutered dogs Nix. I would say it's just bad luck that you've come across so many unfortunately. Although i do think neutered dogs can be iffy with intact dogs at times, but we've never had any real issues with neutered dogs.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 11:47am PST 
I haven't experienced neutered male dogs displaying more aggression of any type. In fact, the breeders that I work with routinely have many of their returning show/trial dogs neutered once they're retired from showing. (They save and ship specimens for breeding purposes) They have far less problems integrating neutered males with a mix of younger intact males and in heat females. It appears to be easier for them to live among a large group of dogs if they're neutered. Never do their altered males attack the intact males or display towards them more frequently, that's just not been our experience at all. They make their decision on a case by case basis, and so far have been happy with their choices. Some intact males are fine in this situation, quite a few are not. I suspect that a lot of what you're seeing of neutered male aggression can be attributed to poor handling, socialization and training. I've been handling and working with dogs for over thirty years and I haven't experienced anything close to that level of issues with neutered dogs.

I've known many of these dogs before and after, loss of drive used to be the biggest concern of these breeders and quite honestly we haven't seen that at all.

I've seen more behavioral issues regarding the drive to reproduce in intact males. More roaming, breaking through barriers to reach in heat females etc. which all should be addressed by proper management. But if you've only got a couple house dogs that you're able to supervise and contain and don't have a rotating group of in heat females around most of the time, that wouldn't be as much of an issue. Intact males certainly can get frustrated with a lot of exposure to breeding females when they're not the lucky ones. wink If they're rarely exposed, I think dogs are outta scent outta mind.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 12:23pm PST 
I neuter ALL my done with showing/breeding males because I want the LACK of agression with them neutered. Frankly, in all my years with dogs, I, like Lucille, have never had agression result from neutering! I have, however, had LOTS of intact male dogs who weren't so nice with other males (and/or puppies!)return to being perfect gentlemen after neutering, no matter what their age when neutered.
The beauty with neutering after sexual maturity is that the dog doesn't exhibit the "enuch" rounded, less muscular look resulting from an early neuter.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3