GO!

Guick Question About Nail Quick ?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bella

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 1:13pm PST 
I've read that 'if' I trim weekly and close to the "quick" that the quick would shorten-up, yes/no?

Also, would clipping vs grinding w/Dremel make any difference in Quick reduction? shrug

Reason I ask...Bella's now 3 and I switched to using the Dremel vs cutting and her Quicks seem to be getting longer shrug
[notify]
Jayde

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 1:19pm PST 
I always use the dremmel vs cutting. If you do it weekly or every other week it should go down. When i got Jayde her nails and quicks were long, since i have been using the dremmel they have shorten quite a bit. not sure why your dogs would be getting longer?
[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 1:20pm PST 
I use a dremel on all my dogs and their quicks have never receded or gotten longer. I trim my dogs once a week and I prefer the dremel because it keeps the nails smooth and its easier to tell where the quick is, no bleeding doggy toes smile. When I worked at the vet they said that filing them more often does make the quick recede but like I said previously I haven't noticed it with my dogs.
[notify]

Radley

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 1:20pm PST 
hamster dancehamster dancehamster dancehamster dance

Edited by author Fri Oct 5, '12 1:25pm PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 7:08pm PST 
I have also heard from some dogsters that are groomers getting as close to the quick as possible and doing the nails more often during the winter/cold weather is more effective. I THINK it was Toto,so sorry if I am mistaken,who mentioned it in the grooming forum. You might want to cross post this there or ask to have it moved there where it is more likely that someone who knows for sure can give you an appropriate answer.wishes
[notify]
Rain

Future agility- star!

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 8:56pm PST 
Yes, the quick will recede after a while. We were actually just talking about this at work the other day laugh out loud

Not sure about dremeling though...that's a good question thinking
[notify]

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 4:51am PST 
i have been using the dremmel they have shorten quite a bit. not sure why your dogs would be getting longer?

can anyone tell me about that pugg

[url=http://www.deshmeaaj.com/] dainik bhasker [/url]
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 11:37am PST 
thanks for the feedback > shucks I never thought to post in the "grooming section" shrug
[notify]
Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 3:39pm PST 
I have never used a dremel but if you trim to close the quick tends to pop back. Or bleed like a SOB! lol. I trim with nail clippers every 2 weeks or so
[notify]
Radley

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 5:31pm PST 
Maybe you're not dremeling them back far enough. I file my dogs until the quick is peeking out a bit.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2