GO!

My puppy had a blockage, is he out of the woods?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Trixie

If I find it,- its mine

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 1:19am PST 
I came home last night and noticed my ten week old Caviler seemed bloated, and could not pass stool. I took him to the emergency vet, thinking it was constipation. The vet said his stomach was distended and did X-rays. It was worse than my mom and I feared. The x-rays showed a large blockage. The vet gave him an enema and said it looked like he had leaves in his stool. He had often been picking leaves up outside as well as grass, but I always took it away from him. I didn't realize he was eating any frown It makes me feel horrible. She said it could also have been from him eating too much.

A second X-ray showed he had passed some of the blockage, but there was still a ball of it in him. The vet tried to break up the blockage.

A third X-ray showed the ball had broken up and cleared.

He was given medication to stimulate stool.

We only came home from the vet a few hours ago so the puppy is sleeping. He had two enemas. The vet said to watch for diarrhea and vomiting. If these things happen to rush him to my vet.

I have an appointment wensday for my puppy, should I try to get him in today instead?

Should he be okay now that the blockage is clear?
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 3:51am PST 
What a scary thing. I hope he feels better. I would keep a very close eye on him. Maybe call your regular vet and ask their opinion on what you should do. The fact the the pup is so young makes it very bad. Make sure you don't miss tomorrow's appointment. Good luck with him and please keep us posted. hug
[notify]
Trixie

If I find it,- its mine

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 5:42am PST 
He is playing this morning. Very active. I made an appointment this evening with my vet. I'm debating buying him a nuzzle for when he goes outside. He tried to eat grass again this morning :/
[notify]

Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 7:38am PST 
When I had a blockage, the enema did the trick for me. Eating something we aren't supposed to can certainly make the back end sick wink I would say if you start vommiting, you should seek attention. It might mean you have another piece of the ball stuck there. Good luck and let's hope it all came out! way to go

edited to add: if he's eating grass his tummy may still be a little upset. I would say that's normal. Eating a little grass is okay but I wouldn't let him graze wink

Edited by author Tue Sep 11, '12 7:39am PST

[notify]
Trixie

If I find it,- its mine

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 9:26am PST 
The vet said it looked like leaves. His bill was about $450, but I'm just happy he is okay.

Here is his first x-ray:

Xray

The mass looked so huge, I was scared to death.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 6:03pm PST 
Wow..... I'm glad he's ok. A muzzle won't keep him from eating things. It should fit so they can still pant, which means they can still open their mouth to some extent. Good luck with him.
[notify]
Trixie

If I find it,- its mine

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 4:53pm PST 
He is back to acting like himself. I'm watching him like a hawk now :p
[notify]

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 5:14pm PST 
That's Great!! cheercheercheercheercheerhamster dance
[notify]